Mice, Can't Live With 'em

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have noticed more holes in the chicken yard, and twice I have seen some little scurrying critter in the dusk as I close up the chickens. I need to figure out some kind of trap or basket to put the poison in, to keep it away from the chickens.
Just put mouse/rat poison close by but where other animals can't get to it. I double chickens would eat it but I wouldn't take a chance. I put mine through a hole in my barn floor where I figure they reside.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nope. Most animals won't pick up and eat a dead mouse. Even the dog and cats won't eat rodents that are already dead. If chickens are THAT hungry, they have bigger problems than a poison mouse.

Christina E.

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Tis' the season for mice. Its the time where they look for shelter indoors! Since we adopted our cat (he's indoor/ outdoor) and replaced our basement door with something that is sealed, no mice sightings. Every once in a while they creep through, but that is easy to fix with traps. When the cat is outdoors he does keep pests at bay. Keep setting traps until there is no more activity. It's slow, but it works. In the mean time, hopefully you've checked for entry ways around the area and seal them up. Good Luck!

Latest posts