Michigan

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Okay, I'm back. Saw dascountry at BYC today and I felt guilty for not posting here. :/

I have not been inspired at all this year, possibly due to last year's crappy season. Almost no tomatoes, drought, heat wonky spring, I just could not fight them all and win.

I'm buying tomato plants this year instead of starting from seed. All that effort for northern varieties and then a summer like I used to have when I lived in VA! So it's whatever I can find at the nursery.

I bought some seeds locally, lettuce, snow peas, cucumbers, zucchini, but haven't ordered anything and I need to get my special green beans, Masai and Jade from Pinetree. I will see if they have any after this.

Haven't planted a thing yet though I did start weeding the oldest veggie garden, hopefully I can get some snow peas in today.

I also bought 100ft of 3ft tall chicken wire. I'm going to fence in where the hutch runcoon killing ground used to be. Maybe some of that over wintered chicken poop will benefit some plants. Plus, almost no weeds there!

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The majority of my crocus to brighten your day. I need more!

5737_purple_crocus.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are so pretty, Swampducks! Nothing says "spring" like crocus... Last year was certainly a frustrating gardening year. Glad you got out and started playing in the dirt. I think buying transplants makes a lot of sense. Happy Gardening!

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was gone all day today but when I got home, a few of my daffodils have bloomed. They are awfully small this year though, I think the drought last year affected them. I should probably fertilize this year. Do I do that after they finish blooming?

And yesterday I planted a double 12 ft row of snow peas, dwarf grey sugar. Finally, the garden is officially started!

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So is there any purpose to reviving the MI thread as it's been dead nearly 2 years?

And is anyone else having trouble with pages not loading on this website? 90% of the time I can't get anything. I have no trouble at all at BYC.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
What browser are you using? I had to switch to Firefox awhile back because Internet Explorer 9 was having trouble loading this site. Chrome is supposed to be another good one to use and we've got several Safari users.

TEG is on a different server and type of forum platform than BYC, that's probably why.

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I use Chrome. I also tried IE, still had the same problems.

Threw out my back yesterday morning gathering maple sap, now confined to bed. Even sitting up is agony. I hate having a bad back! This is what happens when you feel so good you start skipping your back exercises, then one wrong move....

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Some of my seeds have sprouted: hollyhocks mainly. Not that I planted a lot but it is nice to see.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use Chrome. I also tried IE, still had the same problems.

Threw out my back yesterday morning gathering maple sap, now confined to bed. Even sitting up is agony. I hate having a bad back! This is what happens when you feel so good you start skipping your back exercises, then one wrong move....

Oh no, this is a bad time to be laid up with so much to do outside. I hope you feel better soon or that your doctor will give you something to help the pain.

Latest posts