Microwave ... caput !

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A kettle is much better than a microwave :)
I cook poached eggs in mine. 40 percent power, 2 minutes.

I dislike thawing meat in them, but 10% power is ok for beef, it doesn't change the flavor. 20 % for chicken. I hate on the overthawed partial cooking that happens on higher energy settings.

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
We purchased a Sharp microwave in 1997. It is 1500 watts, and has a lot of "smart" settings, most of which we will never use. The Auto Reheat works really well for most things - and will cook a potato almost perfectly. It also works really well for cooking a small quantity of rice. Mostly we use it for heating canned goods, quick-thawing frozen meat, or warming hot drinks.

About 10 years ago, a lightning storm knocked out about 33% of the digital display lines, and we thought it was probably on its last legs. I had the good fortune to win a microwave at the company Christmas party, and figured it was just in time to replace the dying Sharp.

Nope. Other than the display, that microwave has been going strong up until now, and probably will continue to do so as long as I am threatening it with replacement. :lol:

Unless something has changed, Sharp microwaves are made in the U.S.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
One day I am gonna screw up and explode the micro. I learned I could fork holes into hard winter squash and cook them quickly in a microwave. At first I punched a lot of holes, the next year less, then less the next. At some point my cavalier ways are gonna get me. It must be a lot of work for my wife to keep adding to that particular list so I will try but no promises.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
great news! :) we use ours quite a bit. they usually last somewhere around 7-10yrs. there are some things i won't cook with a microwave, but for boiling water and making oatmeal i have it all figured out as to how long i need to set the time. for oatmeal i have a quick warm up on high for 1:40 and then i set it to power level 2 for 7:09. :)

i don't cook dry beans in the microwave, but i do cook shellies and steam fresh green beans in the microwave.

which reminds me we need a new pot for that since i broke my last one. a glass one. i miss it.
Please don't shoot the messenger but you are completely destroying all the nutrients

As soon as food is nuked, its practically dead imo

People that live on microwaved meals don't have a very good immune system.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Please don't shoot the messenger but you are completely destroying all the nutrients

As soon as food is nuked, its practically dead imo

People that live on microwaved meals don't have a very good immune system.

um, no, but if you just want to go by opinion i'm sure you can and be happy. :)

IMO i don't like meats cooked in a microwave, but for warming up pre-cooked items we've made before or portions they work pretty well.

FYI, https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/microwave-cooking-and-nutrition

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
um, no, but if you just want to go by opinion i'm sure you can and be happy. :)

IMO i don't like meats cooked in a microwave, but for warming up pre-cooked items we've made before or portions they work pretty well.

FYI, https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/microwave-cooking-and-nutrition
That's really interesting. Another view is good. I'm no expert and always ready to open my mind. So thinking this over. 🤔

Mushrooms nuked with milk tasted ok

I know one thing if anything is salted that taste is dead after being microwaved.

For years I've carried my belief that microwaves were bad, and crucified proteins and vitamins.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We purchased a Sharp microwave in 1997. It is 1500 watts, and has a lot of "smart" settings, most of which we will never use. The Auto Reheat works really well for most things - and will cook a potato almost perfectly. It also works really well for cooking a small quantity of rice. Mostly we use it for heating canned goods, quick-thawing frozen meat, or warming hot drinks.

About 10 years ago, a lightning storm knocked out about 33% of the digital display lines, and we thought it was probably on its last legs. I had the good fortune to win a microwave at the company Christmas party, and figured it was just in time to replace the dying Sharp.

Nope. Other than the display, that microwave has been going strong up until now, and probably will continue to do so as long as I am threatening it with replacement. :lol:

Unless something has changed, Sharp microwaves are made in the U.S.
That poor microwave, that sharp has too be better than Chinese made.

Most older electricals are better by miles than what we get today