Mindful & the Flow

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I knew this guy would have something to say about gardening!

Happiness is Green (link)

I was reading an article on biking as exercise while sitting outside the library under a shade tree and using their WiFi. Yeah, I was wondering what I was missing out on. Did you know that competition bicyclists live 8 years longer than the rest of us? I wonder if any other pro athletes live any longer than average. But, even more "athletic" bicyclists live 4 to 5 years longer than those who just take bike rides at a leisurely pace.

Anyway, the author interviewed the psychologist as to how biking might be good for, not only the body but the mind. He said it may have to do with focus, living in the flow ... what was it, mono-something or other. Also, mindfully -- being aware of surroundings.

I need to point out that biking injuries are more likely than auto injuries. So, the bicyclist has to pay attention or she/he will be shortening life expectancy! The competitor can focus on performance but everyone can focus on simple tasks.

There are both flow and mindfulness in gardening. It is psychologically healthy!

Now, I'm going back to find out what he says about healthy venting and what he calls Donald Duck fury ...

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, if you got a stationary bike you could read while you pedaled! Of course you would lose the mindfulness of your surroundings, but - all those other benefits!!;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, now I'm really upset. Turns out that it was a different psychologist talking about Donald Duck and it wasn't venting it was imagining that the short-fuse you have to put up with is Donald so that this person's tirade :rant rolls off your back like water off a duck.

I thought it might be me getting a license to make a fool out of myself.

Bike? Probably not, Thistle'. There aren't many benefits to be gained from these legs.

A real, 2-wheel bike would need training wheels and probably topple over, getting no further than the stationary would take me.

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, the person who penned that article about athletic bicyclists on racing bikes living longer obviously didn't consider the cyclists in downtown Portland, Or.. Darting in and out of traffic, running red lights, cutting in front of your car in mid block, riding in car lanes and not moving over but flipping you off if you honk your horn , ETC.. If it wasn't for my , as well as other car drivers quick reflexes, these #$%^&****** so call athletic cyclists would be grease spots years before their time . :caf I have saved the lives of at least 4 of them in downtown Portland and I have only driven there 7 times this year. :idunno

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@bobm, you have to realize that you are driving in a college town. That changes all the biking rules. These (someone's) babies are there to learn. Among the many things not taught is basic courtesy and a consideration for others on the road.

Way back (in the stone ages?) I walked from downtown to the top of Council Bluff and back. Don't think I could have biked up. Of course, that was when walking was easy.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have lived in a small ( 75,000 population) College town (UCDavis) for over 30 years and the idiot level was never like the fully grown ( immature ), dressed in racing apparel KING OF THE ROAD adults on racing/ mountain trail bikes while they are on their way to work. They take no regard for vehicle rules of the road. One has to also remember that Portland, Ore. is the "weird capital of the world" where ( just one example) once a year hundreds of all ages mass together ,shed their clothes and mary wanna joins in too ( NO MORALS or DECENCY) and ride their bikes for hours on end through town. This event is on the TV news every year too. :smack

Latest posts