Mint reseeding

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

If anyone has a surplus supply of mint you could try making this Mint Syrup:which came from a wonderful collection of recipes from famous cooks & chefs on the 'Seeds of Italy' website:

http://www.seedsofitaly.com/recipes.php

Paolo Arrigo's recipe, From 'Seeds of Italy' website

Lina's Mint Syrup

Lina is an old lady in my village in Italy who knows all the old traditions. I call her when I want growing tips, but especially preserving tips. This is one of her original recipes this is how its been done in her family since she can remember. Shop bought mint syrup is bright green, but this recipe will make you the real thing, and the colour and taste will be natural and delicious and thirst quenching on a summer day.

Ingredients: 2 bottles of white tablewine; 4 big handfuls of fresh mint leaves; 750g granulated sugar.

First you have to make the syrup. Pour the white wine into a saucepan with the sugar and gently bring to a simmer from cold, stirring often until the sugar has completely disolved. Remove any scum with a spoon. Allow to cool completely. Bruise the mint leaves with a rolling pinPour the cold syrup into a large, wide necked jar and add the washed, bruised mint leaves. Place the lid on the jar. Turn or gently shake the jar every morning for 5 days to assist the infusion. On the 6th day, remove the mint leaves and decant the mint syrup into bottles. It doesn't need to be refrigerated once bottled as the alcohol and sugar will preserve the syrup, but make sure you put a tight cork or seal into the bottle so the ants don't enjoy it too! To drink, mix some of the syrup (to taste) with cold water and add a mint leaf. You can also try the same basic recipe with other herbs -lemon balm works well. Experiment a bit - you'll be glad you did!!

Seeds of Italy is a great company which I have used a lot. Their packets seem to contain a lot more seeds than those of others & they germinate well. :D

:rose Hattie :rose

meriruka1

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks Hattie! Can't wait to try the syrup.
I grow peppermint, (which does not produce seeds), so I just bought a few plants and surrounded an area with bricks. The mint has not strayed out of the area but every year it seems to migrate around in there, I guess it likes soil it has not used before. Last year, I added compost to help add nutrients to the soil but the mint moved away from it.