Mint; why isn't it thriving in this box? What species is mine? In my aviary. & Keeping it under control

MeanCheek

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Firstly, I hope this is in the right place, it's my first thread on TEG. :)

In March, I moved several little sprouts into this box (I'll edit in pictures) and that's the progress it's made! Shouldn't it have nearly filled the whole box?

Which species is my mint? Honestly, I'm not even completely sure it's mint! It's from my grandmother and I think she got it from a great-grandmother. It smells like mint, and we've always eaten it.

This morning I moved some into my aviary. It got droopy in the heat, and then it was trampled by the birds so I don't know if it will live. But I know you need to see bird pictures!

And, as much as I love it, I really don't want it to take over. To this day (in fact, I think this very day) grandmother has/is trying to kill it because it has taken over.

Mostly I want to know what kind it is and how to kill it if need be. :)
20220712_124425.jpg
20220712_124518.jpg
20220712_124409.jpg

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Looks like either spearmint or peppermint. Crush a leaf and smell it. Mint leaves have a very strong odor. Copycat weeds will grow in the same spot. If it isn't mint, and you Didn't plant it, pull it out and dispose it.
Mint has been outcrossed, and about a decade ago different kinds of mint were pretty easy to find at local box stores. Now, you will need to order them online. Shame bc you can't sample them first! :lol:
I grow spearmint and chocolate mint.
The neat thing is that chocolate mint smells like an Andes Mint.
Pineapple mint smells like pineapple.
These various mints take on the odor of their namesakes.
They like lots of sun. I planted my spearmint in a partly sunny bed and it almost disappeared, but now back again. I make vinegar based mint sauce with mine, and you don't need Much.
Chocolate mint goes nicely with chocolate ice cream.
The best thing to do is grow your mint in pots or beds where they won't escape.
BUT, I have not Ever in 20+ years had a problem pulling out a mint with it's root left.
"Invasive" describes how weeds operate when the roots get too deep to pull out or dig out if you don't get them out by April.
Burdock does this, and then you are Forced to kill it with insecticide, something you Don't have to do to remove mint.
I use invasives like Lily of the Valley to keep weeds Down in the north side of the house. I sometimes mow them down on the edge, but few weeds grow with them.
I have planted chocolate mint at DD's house to help fill in a "weedfest" area, along with other pleasant invasives and divided hostas, etc. Mint spreads by runners underground And by lovely lavendar shaded flowers when it goes to seed.
There can be too much of a good thing. I have been on this site's Forum for a decade now, and I REMEMBER somebody here who lived close to a place that grew acres of mint and told us how can gag on the scent.
Less is more...

MeanCheek

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Looks like either spearmint or peppermint. Crush a leaf and smell it. Mint leaves have a very strong odor. Copycat weeds will grow in the same spot. If it isn't mint, and you Didn't plant it, pull it out and dispose it.
Mint has been outcrossed, and about a decade ago different kinds of mint were pretty easy to find at local box stores. Now, you will need to order them online. Shame bc you can't sample them first! :lol:
I grow spearmint and chocolate mint.
The neat thing is that chocolate mint smells like an Andes Mint.
Pineapple mint smells like pineapple.
These various mints take on the odor of their namesakes.
They like lots of sun. I planted my spearmint in a partly sunny bed and it almost disappeared, but now back again. I make vinegar based mint sauce with mine, and you don't need Much.
Chocolate mint goes nicely with chocolate ice cream.
The best thing to do is grow your mint in pots or beds where they won't escape.
BUT, I have not Ever in 20+ years had a problem pulling out a mint with it's root left.
"Invasive" describes how weeds operate when the roots get too deep to pull out or dig out if you don't get them out by April.
Burdock does this, and then you are Forced to kill it with insecticide, something you Don't have to do to remove mint.
I use invasives like Lily of the Valley to keep weeds Down in the north side of the house. I sometimes mow them down on the edge, but few weeds grow with them.
I have planted chocolate mint at DD's house to help fill in a "weedfest" area, along with other pleasant invasives and divided hostas, etc. Mint spreads by runners underground And by lovely lavendar shaded flowers when it goes to seed.
There can be too much of a good thing. I have been on this site's Forum for a decade now, and I REMEMBER somebody here who lived close to a place that grew acres of mint and told us how can gag on the scent.
Less is more...
Thank you!
So, maybe the mint in the box needs more sun?
What's the biggest difference between peppermint and spearmint?

MeanCheek

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Smell/flavor. I planted both in the same bed. I can use either in my mint sauce, so I haven't been picky,
I think mine is spearmint. Does peppermint just smell like peppermint candys and the like? I also got some chocolate mint today! Is it as easy as the other mints?

MeanCheek

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Can I keep a pot of it inside all year, or does it need to go dormant?
Also, it can be propagated by putting a sprig in water?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG @MeanCheek!

I would be surprised if you could keep it indoors through the winter. The best way to enjoy it through winter would be to dry some, it regrows readily. I'm not 100% sure, but you probably could propagate it that way, in water. However, once it gets really growing it propagates itself crazily! Lol

Latest posts