mint!!!

tball

Sprout
Reaction score
Ok i planted mint last year, winter came all disapeared.....then spring, and mint is all over my garden. I have googled a lot so i understand its very invasive, thats ok. But what i would like to know will it tant or flavor the peas or beans,onions etc....:idunno

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
:frow Welcome to the forum! :frow Glad you joined us! :frow

I had a hopeless task this evening. I tried to dig all the mint out of my wife's flower bed out front. She thought she could contain it by growing it in a bucket in the ground. Not even close. The bucket worked to contain the roots, but that stuff makes a lot of seeds. I consider it hopeless because all it takes was for me to miss one root and its back. Man, that stuff is tough.

The only place I grow mint is at a corner of the workshop where I can keep it contained with a lawn mower. Invasive is a good word.

It will not transfer any flavor to your crops. You are OK there.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome! While it might not "flavor" your other veggies- it will crowd them out and possibly shade them. If it is growing near where you are going to plant the veggies, I would recommend pulling up as much of it as possible. A few stray bits aren't going to kill your garden- but you don't want a garden of mint. It will steal all the water- and if left unchecked, take over the world!
Happy Gardening!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
just plan to make lots of stuff with all that mint, it will help to keep it in check. if it is apple mint use it to make mint jelly. spearmint or peppermint, use it in desserts or for lots of different beverages (mojitos, mint juleps, etc) i love the taste of mint for tea. i also ask for a shot of it in my chai tea when i get it from the local coffee place.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My neighbor gave me some mint so I put it in a pot... now something has eaten the crap outta it... LOL I thought bugs didn't like mint?!

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We have a 2 acre pond out back and I plant the invasive stuff on the back side of the dam for erosion control. I let them fight it out. Some years the mint wins and some years the crown vetch wins.

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yup, that stuff's invasive. A tiny sprout of lemon balm was in a plant....years later we've given up controlling it and it is now announced as the companion plant to our blueberries and blackberries. Last year the puppy demolished the pot of nice peppermint. Thought I had it all cleaned up, but the mower hit a patch of mint by the rainbarrels, so now I know I have another ground cover out there. And people ask me for starts all the time, which I give with lots of warnings.

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you've got mice invading anyplace, take some sprigs of mint, crush the leaves a little and place it all over where the mice live and they will disappear. We had mice at night in the chicken coop that were eating the food and leaving poop behind.. We cleaned it up added the mint and haven't seem them since.. You can change out the sprigs every few days ... We've got one plant that has been divided into about 8-10 now.. Works great.. Try making fresh lemonade with several sprigs of mint.. Yum!

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
oh no. I just planted some by our pond a few days ago. Now Im going out to dig it up.
Do you think it will survive zone three winters in a large pot outside?