mint!!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mackay, I have trouble with the chocolate mint.

Some plants die every winter that I have had it. Apple, ginger, spear, one or two more - that mint is the only one that seems to be less than hardy in a zone 5 winter. They are all in the ground without a mulch. The chocolate mint survivors have generated a few new plants each year but some won't make it thru the winter.

I think you should plan on some kind of insulation for the mint roots in that pot.

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If you have a constantly wet area mint is great. It can't be drowned. At the edges of ponds it will even grow in several inches of standing water. Although it deters many insects it has its own set of insects that live on it. One is a tiny catterpillar you never see anywhere else. One of these days I'll look it up and see what the butterfly (or moth) stage looks like.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
tball said:
Ok i planted mint last year, winter came all disapeared.....then spring, and mint is all over my garden. I have googled a lot so i understand its very invasive, thats ok. But what i would like to know will it tant or flavor the peas or beans,onions etc....:idunno
I planted a lot of different kinds away from the garden. I wonder what it will be like next spring. We made raspberry mint lemonade, blackberry mint lemonade and strawberry mint lemonade, put mint in salads and gave the rabbits a little mint. It is still green and I have been giving them some off and on. I think we planted sweet mint, apple mint, spearmint, chocolate mint, pineapple mint and not sure what else.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Baymule, have you been in one of the areas affected by the drought? i have found my mint suffers when we have a dry season that goes on too long. they really do like moist areas better than overly dry areas.