Miracle Gro Cactus, Palm and Citrus potting mix

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I bought a sack of this by mistake and I want to start some flower seeds. Will flowers grow in this potting mix? Should I mix it with some other potting soil?
I once bought some miracle grow potting soil, for general purpose use, planted seeds of various kinds, and the mix burned all my seedlings within a few weeks. I think whenever you plant seeds in a mix with fertilizer in it, you risk the small seedlings getting burned. I would consider setting the mix aside, and getting some soil without fertilizer, to start your seeds, especially if the seeds are precious to you. When the plants are bigger you can always use that soil.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ive had great success with “Coast of Maine” seed starting mix, and never had nutrient issues. I always start little seeds in the 6 cell cubes.
Bigger stuff goes in Roots organic 707 mix in 3 1/2 inch pots and they do well also.
The 707 i can buy locally but have to rely on Amazon for the C.O.M mix.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't use regular Miracle Gro, let alone this product. This is not a regular potting soil, it's specifically for cactus, succulents, and palms. From reading the ingredients think sand instead of dirt. It is going to drain extremely well, will it dry out on you? Since it drains so well nutrients are going to leach out of it. You'll have to fertilize more than normal.

I would not use it by itself. If I mixed it with something else it would be a relatively small portion of that mix.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't use regular Miracle Gro, let alone this product. This is not a regular potting soil, it's specifically for cactus, succulents, and palms. From reading the ingredients think sand instead of dirt. It is going to drain extremely well, will it dry out on you? Since it drains so well nutrients are going to leach out of it. You'll have to fertilize more than normal.

I would not use it by itself. If I mixed it with something else it would be a relatively small portion of that mix.

yes, cactus mix shouldn't be that harsh in terms of fertilizers. the leaching part should also not be that big of a problem for cactus either as they don't need a huge amount anyways.

using it as a starter it might be ok, but as you pot up seedlings you'll probably be using better mixes for them anyways.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5

AGREED!!! This has temporary chemical fertilizer.
You would be better off mixing:
cheapest small bag of potting mix (like generic)
with
a little bit of sand (your Miracle Gro bag)
with
used starter soil ( for water retention And drainage, and most people throw it out after one use)
I am transplanting tomatoes and peppers into WM cheapo potting mix with smells great, and has small sticks in it.
They will break down in the soil and help it.

Last edited: