Miracle Gro Organic Garden soil and potting soil

herbsherbsflowers

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience using this stuff. I got potting soil last year and for some stupid reason got garden soil this year to fill a new raised bed. Last year I had to add lots of additional fertilizer, espoma and fish emulsion to really get things to grow, especially at first. It seems to kick in about halfway through the season or maybe that is all the fertilizer I added. Anyway, I am having to do the same with the raised bed. I'm thinking of writing to the miracle gro people but wondered if anyone else had had a similar experience.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have used the Miracle-gro and also the off-brand version they have at Walmart. I found the off-brand to be equivalent and both worked great.

However, I made the mistake of buying "potting soil" at the feed store and it was nothing like the others (didn't have perlite in it, the texture was not as friable and it didn't hold moisture as well--although it did seem to feed the plants well.)

I've not used them in raised beds, but the Miracle-gro & off-brand potting soils worked great in large containers for me.

I made my own mix of dirt for my raised bed this year. (This being my first raised bed, so I cannot say that my way is the best way to do it.) But what I used was this: 2 parts plain garden soil/fill dirt, 1 part sphagum peat moss, 1 part compost and 1 part composted horse manure, then I limed it. So far so good...things are growing in it!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Most of the 'organic' fertilizers are SLOW release and takes awhile to see results. The reality is, in nature, things grow at a more natural rate. Fertilizing something to death isn't doing the plant much good. You are compromising on the intergrity of the strength of the plant, the quality of the fruit it bears as well. Using a high nitrogen feed has shown larger plants have been produced, but most bear less fruit and more green.... :watering

Potting soil isn't the best choice for a raised bed though, you really do want to use garden soil. Which is cheaper in larger quantity then the potting soil which has a mix including things like perlite and peat.

Depending on what you are growing in your raised bed, you can always add extras to give 'certain' plants a boost. Like tomatoes would love some bone meal and crushed egg shell. Things like that just drop right into hole you plant in. :coolsun

I always notice the beginning of my season drags... and then one day there is an explosion in growth, which is followed by TONS of blooms and set fruits. Which I prefer over a thick green jungle and barely anything to snack on. :/

:weight :weight :weight :weight :weight :weight :weight

edited: because my spelling is terrible! I apologize... but I still suck at spelling!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I sorta don't trust miracle gro cause they're chemically oriented but I have to admit I've had good reslts with their seed starting mix.

herbsherbsflowers

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have tomatoes and peppers in the bed I am talking about and they have started to pick up after adding some espoma organic fertilizer. It is 2-4-4 or something like that. I figure whatever organic fertilizer is in the miracle gro stuff is slow release also. I'm glad they are growing and setting fruit now. It is really hot this weekend. I hope that won't stop the tomatoes. I have already started getting lots of little cherry tomatoes. They are planted in a bed in the front yard and are doing really well. We are running over with peppers, jalapenos and cubanelles and serranos that are also in another bed.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have used Miracle Grow potting soil with nothing but great results. The best and easiest place for me to purchase it is Wal Mart.
Well one day I was in Dollar General and they had just received a shipment of their brand potting soil. Price looked inviting so I bought a couple of bags, BIG mistake, almost nothing but sand and some large wood chip.
I went ahead and used it with not such good results.
Back to MG for me!!!

THANX RICH

Latest posts