Missing the Parsnips this Year

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I find them easier than any kind of carrot that takes more than about 24 hours to reach maturity ;)!

Actually, the parsnip seed even does better at sprouting than the carrot seed.

It doesn't really seem to makes sense. They are in the carrot family. Carrots struggle in my garden. Parsnips just soldier along . . .

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Something I learned, sow after ground warms up. Packages tell you to sow as soon as ground can be worked-wrong. That is why they germinate so slow. Always use fresh seed-why I buy packaged seed and not bulk-no idea if carry over or not. Best to harvest 30+ days after first freeze. The longer they are in soil after maturing, the sweeter.
My question, what varieties have you grown or eaten. I’ve been using hollow crown but middle is pithy. Need another variety.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Need another variety.
Andover grew the best for me, Seed'. Productive and nice growing, nice looking, and nice at the table.

Hollow Crown did well but was a bit coarse. I was not happy with Javelin. Skinny and I didn't care for the flavor.

This is an old thread. I continued in that garden for another 2 or 3 seasons. And then, began growing all vegetables in the big garden. Terrible place for the parsnips because of all the rocks and I decided that after one season with them in that garden.

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Understand it was an old thread but why start a new one on the same subject?

I’m leaning towards a F1 called Albion from internet search but I’m open to suggestions.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Andover seed .

.. seems to be only available from Fedco.

That is, it's the outfit that I know about and have ordered from.

digitS'

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Love my parsnips. But have had no luck growing them. My late Father-in-law always had big crop he would share. :) I miss him. :(
Oh my... I haven't had parsnips for a very long time. The last time I had some was from a celebration with my neighbours I hope I can have my own for me to harvest any time I want.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha! I ended up ordering Albion seed, @seedcorn :D.

The number of seed companies I order from has to be limited or the shipping cost damages the budget. Cramps my style!

It would be fun trying a bunch of different varieties but just trying to grow any parsnips again is a stretch. I'm not sure why 2019 was a fairly good year for carrots in my rocky soil. At the end of the season, digging them out without breaking them was a real chore. That packet of parsnip seed is an invitation to more work if'n those things decide to grow well.

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha! I ended up ordering Albion seed, @seedcorn :D.

The number of seed companies I order from has to be limited or the shipping cost damages the budget. Cramps my style!

It would be fun trying a bunch of different varieties but just trying to grow any parsnips again is a stretch. I'm not sure why 2019 was a fairly good year for carrots in my rocky soil. At the end of the season, digging them out without breaking them was a real chore. That packet of parsnip seed is an invitation to more work if'n those things decide to grow well.

Steve
Where did you order them?

@Rhodie Ranch When do you plant them? Most places tell you to plant them as soon as you can (meaning you plant in cool soils). WRONG! Parsnips come up slow so you want to wait till soils warm up, then plant and keep soil wet.

Latest posts