mixin' lillies question for catjac1975

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
@catjac1975 , I had originally planted day lilies all the way down one side of the driveway. Most of them were transplants from friends' yards and were the common, tall orange or yellow ones. But a few were purchased on a trip as a reminder/souvenir. Unfortunately, the deer ate all the blooms and a couple of summers went by when I never saw a single bloom. I moved about half of them up near the house and last summer got to enjoy a beautiful show of dozens and dozens of orange blooms.
I thought that I had lost all of the special ones. But this year, up pops this lovely bloom.
2018.jpg 2018closeup.jpg
My question is - what are the chances that it will cross with the tall ones?
And - if it does - it will most likely lean towards the tall, orange, 'wild' type won't it? :(

Wouldn't it be cool to get these pretty blooms on those tall stems!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
@catjac1975 , I had originally planted day lilies all the way down one side of the driveway. Most of them were transplants from friends' yards and were the common, tall orange or yellow ones. But a few were purchased on a trip as a reminder/souvenir. Unfortunately, the deer ate all the blooms and a couple of summers went by when I never saw a single bloom. I moved about half of them up near the house and last summer got to enjoy a beautiful show of dozens and dozens of orange blooms.
I thought that I had lost all of the special ones. But this year, up pops this lovely bloom.
View attachment 26905 View attachment 26906
My question is - what are the chances that it will cross with the tall ones?
And - if it does - it will most likely lean towards the tall, orange, 'wild' type won't it? :(

Wouldn't it be cool to get these pretty blooms on those tall stems!
They will cross in the wind. But the only thing effected is the seed. Most people don't use the seed. Unlikely they would germinate without help.The orange are invasive and they can suppress the growth of your good plants by encroaching on their space. Keep the orange where the deer eat them and put your better plants where you can see them. I send my husband out at night to ahem, mark his territory where the deer might feast. Seems to chase the deer. Some people are using malagormite on their gardening. It is treated fertilizer from human waste. Supposedly it has enough human order for the wild animals to detect and flee. However, it has trace elements of heavy metals and I will not use that on may property.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to hate the orange thought of them as weeds. I changed my mind, I have a patch of them growing on a steep bank down to stream. I can not get to them it is so steep. They take care of themselves which i like. They have crowed out any weeds.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I used to hate the orange thought of them as weeds. I changed my mind, I have a patch of them growing on a steep bank down to stream. I can not get to them it is so steep. They take care of themselves which i like. They have crowed out any weeds.
ANY PLANT THAT WILL CROWD OUT WEEDS IS WORTH GROWING!!!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
they seem to need full sun? i don't think i've ever seen them in shaded areas... we have some along the front ditch that have been there 15-20yrs, ignored them that long other than making sure thistles don't try to invade.

Latest posts