Mixing Miracle Gro Garden Soil?

Anda25

Sprout
Reaction score
Just moved back to west Texas. Very dry and arid climate. A few years back when I moved to Midland I made a raised garden with Miracle Gro garden soil and some generic top soil. I had put a weed barrier in betewwen original soil and MG mixture.

Now my question. I have moved an 60 miles further wast and I am making a small raised garden. The soil here is very sandy. Would it hurt,(trying to save a little money) mixing my Miracle Gro garden soil, my top soil, with THE EXISTING SANDY BASED soil that is predominant here.

I need your expertise..I will mainly grow peppers and tomatoes.

Thanks!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome! Welcome! I think it would be fine to mix it in with the sandy soil. As you garden in this new area, you will find out what grows best with these conditions... Do you have chickens? Could you start a compost pile for next season? Several good threads about amending the soil on here (without expense). Good luck and Happy Gardening!

Anda25

Sprout
Reaction score
Thank you Lesa! No chickens just puppies.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bagged soilless mix (the miracle grow stuff) is an awfully *expensive* way to make raised beds, but if you wanna, then sure.

In a sandy soil you would want to mix in a higher % of organic material, such as aged compost (or storebought bagged compost if you prefer), than you might do elsewhere.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is there any place close by where you could buy soil amendments by the yard? This would be alot cheaper. I would be willing to even drive an hour or two if you can. You can enjoy the ride, stop for lunch somewhere, and find your amendments for a cheaper cost.

I do this when buying my organic chicken feed. I drive 1 1/2 hrs (one way) to stock up. I tell hubby that we are going on a date! We enjoy the country ride, have a nice lunch. spend time together, and get feed at half the cost. For me it's worth it and I don't think about the gas I'm using.

Also, think about getting chickens. They are fun and easy to have and give you great compost. You don't need that many to start, about 3. But be warned, they are addictive! :D

Mary

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Anda25 said:
Just moved back to west Texas. Very dry and arid climate. A few years back when I moved to Midland I made a raised garden with Miracle Gro garden soil and some generic top soil. I had put a weed barrier in betewwen original soil and MG mixture.

Now my question. I have moved an 60 miles further wast and I am making a small raised garden. The soil here is very sandy. Would it hurt,(trying to save a little money) mixing my Miracle Gro garden soil, my top soil, with THE EXISTING SANDY BASED soil that is predominant here.

I need your expertise..I will mainly grow peppers and tomatoes.

Thanks!
Both peppers and tomatoes are well suited to light loams (sandy-ish).
Tomatoes are also deep feeders.

If you think about what soil is, it is mostly sand or clay in varying amounts, with organic material mixed in, what we call humus. The aggregate is called soil, as opposed to plain dirt. Sand helps keep soil loose and allows water to infiltrate. Too much sand, however, allows water to evaporate too fast or sink to deep to be of use to the plants.

What I would suggest is to mix in rotted manure, muck from a ditch, leaf mold, compost, etc. in a 3:1 ratio with the sand. For the tomatoes, deep dig some at 12". Add about 5% of kitty litter if you have no indigenous clay.

Anda25

Sprout
Reaction score
You guys are so in tune with gardening. I live in the city, so I will stay away from chickens for now. Retirement and a very large garden is just around the corner....looks like chickens are in my future!!! Thanks for all your help.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most cities allow chickens. Check your municipal code. I live in the city also, have 6 chickens, and a daycare/preschool! They are our class pets!

Mary

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You could always find a friend who raises chickens and offer to help clean the coop in return for some nice compost-making-material :)

Anda25 said:
You guys are so in tune with gardening. I live in the city, so I will stay away from chickens for now. Retirement and a very large garden is just around the corner....looks like chickens are in my future!!! Thanks for all your help.

GrowsLotsaPeppers

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The local landscape supply used to deliver at no charge if you bought three or five yards of materials. I don't remember the exact amount, but it was easier than taking the pickup truck 6 or 8 times. And it all showed up at once.

That seems like a lot to buy, but it's way, way cheaper than Miracle Grow on a volume basis, and doesn't have all the fillers and lighteners and such that bagged stuff has. Those I don't really want in the garden soil anyway.

Great dirt is a long termed investment...:cool:

Latest posts