MN Weather Tonight/Tomorrow

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is supposed to get close to -50 degrees tonight here in my neck of the woods. The governor has cancelled all schools tomorrow because of the astronomically cold temperatures. I have to work tomorrow 3pm-9pm so I hope my car starts when I try to leave! I made a lot of chai tea mix this morning and plan on drinking plenty of that tomorrow. But for now, I'll enjoy my Poblano Enchiladas and chocolate mousse made with duck eggs.....and lots of blankets!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, please be safe. Starting your car and letting it run for a while is almost as good as a garage at keeping the engine ready to start. (Laws say you must be with the car when it is running.) Another idea might be to take a cab or have someone take you and pick you up for just this one dangerous day.

Remember my mantra, "Warm IS cool!" Don't take any chances! These temperatures can be killing.

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks, all! Unfortunately for me, work is about 20 miles away and no one available for a ride for my weird shift tomorrow. I made a little emergency kit to put in my car tonight. Good thing I have AAA as well.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
HPQ,

This is really a time to focus on what is important and what isn't.

Some folks will get themselves in so much trouble acting on whims. Clear-headed decisions and love your neighbors! Best Wishes!

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, please be safe. Starting your car and letting it run for a while is almost as good as a garage at keeping the engine ready to start. (Laws say you must be with the car when it is running.) Another idea might be to take a cab or have someone take you and pick you up for just this one dangerous day.

Remember my mantra, "Warm IS cool!" Don't take any chances! These temperatures can be killing.
Red, is that a state law? Or am I really behind on stuff? I had not heard it is against the law to let your car run. I see people around here run into Walmart with their car or truck left empty but running..!?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I believe it is a law (at least) in Il, WI, and OR that you cannot leave a running car unattended. You can be ticketed for doing it.
I know it is still done and I have no idea how it works with diesel motors that are usually left running.
Especially in this cold, many people run out and start their car (or use automatic car starters) and let them warm up a while. The police have been warning folks because many cars are stolen that way.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good for you making an emergency kit! That is unbelievably cold. We're only supposed to get down to -7 here, but the wind chill is supposed to feel like -30. I'll have to wait until DH gets home to go check on my horse. I don't want to risk taking the kids out in it, especially if the roads are bad.

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh man, is it bitter! The dog won't even go out to go potty. I'll be heading out in a few minutes to quick check on the chickens and bring the ducks water. I threw down some alfalfa and hay a couple days ago to give them something to scratch around in until they can safely go outside again. Definitely one of those days where I am glad that I spent the extra time and money to move the girls into a bigger and warmer coop for winter.

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think I heard the sound of my jaw hitting my desk, I really don't know what to say but that is just beyond any level of cold I have experienced.

Latest posts