Mold on some of the starts..

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ok so I have a few threads on here with details on what is planted in my little jiffy pods..

But I made the mistake and put the top on my little jiffy greenhouse when it got hot one day..

And there is a little mold on one of my trays.. on most of the pods in that tray.. only a little..

I took the top off.. But there are 72 pods in that tray..

What should I do?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Are you talking about the white stuff??

That happened to my burpee tray when I put the lid on... as the tops of the tray dried out most the white stuff is gone... just have a little left. It hasn't affected my plants at all!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What vfem says -- give them more air circulation (that's what the mold is warning you about!) so you don't get worse problems, but otherwise ignore it. Chances are it will go away on its own and most of the seedlings will be ok. If not, there wasn't going to be anything you could do about it at this point anyhow.

Really seedlings should not be underneath greenhouselike covers. If the house air is too dry, you can *partially* enclose an area for the seeds, but they still need air movement through it, or you get mold and damping-off and suchlike.

You may be ok though.

(e.t.a. - sometimes it is also telling you that your soil was insufficiently 'clean'. If you use unsterilized outdoors soil, or recycled seed-starting or potting soil from other years, this is more apt to happen. If it happens enough to be a problem, then you may need to look into a bit more sterilization of the medium before sowing)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
mold would have been better than what my 2 year old little boy did today.. :hit :rant

he got to about 10 of my little seedlings.. I have to replant them tomorrow.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
He was just thinning them out! lol

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Its ok, my 2 year old squished all my pink poppy sprouts the other day. I could only save about 15 out of over 100.

She put on my gardening glove and had her watering can. She was being 'nice' to them by patting them repeatedly and pretending to water and smell them. I couldn't be upset, it was too cute and she was trying to help so hard.

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I wish mine was cute like that.. he just picked them up and squished them then stuck them in his boot.. :/

Latest posts