Moon and Stars Watermelon

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have some seeds for the moon and stars, I tried them last year but they didn't develop.
It could have been that we just had such lousy weather, many things didn't pan out last year for gardeners so who knows.
I will probably try them again this year since I still have seeds, I also have crimson sweet and blacktail mountain that I got for free so I may as well try them.

If you like something and want to try it go ahead, you have nothing to lose but the cost of a packet of seeds.
They may do excellent for you.

Wind Notes & Butterflies

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I did the Moon & Stars last season and they did wonderful and I grew them in our garden in our not so blessed Georgia soil.
Medium size melons and very sweet just a good melon I will be growing them again this year along with some Tender Sweets orange flesh melons.
Would say they have very long running vines they need some space to grow.

Liberty7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Since I'm in a 4b zone, I've never tried growing watermelons much less the Moon & Stars which are large watermelons. However, I am going to try the small 'Sugar Baby' with a harvest of 78 days (according to the packet).

One day last week, the AOL homepage had an article about the predicted upcoming summer weather and it showed an area south of the Twin Cities into Iowa with another COOL summer. We had a COOL summer in the Twin Cities last year, and it took forever for my tomatoes to turn RED.

'COOL' summers are great for people and air-conditioning bills but NOT gardens, sadly!!

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had no luck with Moon & Stars either. I got the vines to grow and after they were about 3 feet long, they died. A couple got flowers but never melons. My growing season is just not long enough or hot enough.

Blacktail Mountain has worked well for me though--planting that one again this year.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have to suggest the crimson sweet, you can force it to ripen by trimming vines after it fruits, and picking any additional blooms after it fruits with 1-2 melons.

I was lucky enough being in the south and starting these early enough that last year I got 2 batches of melons off the same vines... out of the second batch I only had one ripen as the weather cooled.

It claimed up to 85 days on the packet, but if you start them inside early or in a green house, you will be in luck. Last year I had my first harvest in time for July 4th! :D

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Last year was not the greatest year for watermelons in a lot of areas. I would not judge last years results with what your going to plant. I would give them a try.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well....after, what I thought was, no sucess with the moon and stars watermelons, I have a "volunteer" that has come up and doing quite well. You never know when mother nature is gonna surprise you (in a good way) in the vegetable garden.

6615_phpvj2ivaam.jpg

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
Here's an iformative article about it. Seems it was almost lost. A good reason to save your heirloom seeds. OOps. Almost forgot the link.
http://www.slowfoodusa.org/index.php/programs/ark_product_detail/moon_stars_watermelon/
Wow, REALLY enjoyed that article. Just goes to show you.......you just NEVER know. I surely hope this vine does well, this year. I believe I'm gonna continue to try and raise these melons, because of this article.......and I'm sure, because of the taste, if I do succeed.