Moon Gardens, anyone?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
sred98 said:
I have been looking for some Cestrum Nocturnum. I traded for some once, but it ended up being the Epiphyllum Oxypetalum. I guess that must be a common mistake?
I don't think so, as cestrum nocturnum is a TOTALLY different kind of plant (not a cactus at all). I believe I've seen it also called Night-blooming Jessamine?

Sorry, I don't have any myself, my parents have grown it for years and years and years but they are 600 miles and an international border away from me :p Theirs originally came from Logee's, I *think*, which still sells it (www.logees.com). There are a lot of other online places that list it -- try googling 'cestrum nocturnum price' and then it will tell you at the bottom of the page that it's not showing returns containing the word price and to click here if you want to see the ones with price in them. Do that. Hopefully something will strike you as a good source. It really does smell HEAVENLY. Makes a nice loose shrub with arching branches.

We have bat houses and Martin houses here to help control mosquitos. And dragonflies! I love them!
We have bats and dragonflies too. I cannot concieve how many it would take to keep THIS many mosquitos at bay, tho :p

Have fun,

Pat

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I potted mine in the house so far. Right now they are doing pretty well, though I think some of the stems are a bit stringy. I think they are nice and full with large leaves already. I started them in the Burpee starter kit. I'm going to repot them into 3" peat pots shortly.

They will probably be going in pots around where I am potting my calla Lilies. Gotta see how the light is there for the calla's anyways.

sred98

Leafing Out
Reaction score
YAY! I received some seeds from a trade in the Netherlands yesterday, and got some fragrant night-bloomers I have been wanting! :celebrate :clap

I got: Nicotiana Langsdorffi "Tinkerbell", Matthiola "Evening Stock", Hesperis Matronalis "Dame's Rocket". I also got some Reseda Alba, which isn't night-blooming, but highly fragrant! :throw

I am very excited! I can't wait to get moved and start planting!! :pop

Shelly

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had some Alba last year on my path to the front door... it REALLY did swell lovely and welcoming to the visitors.

I actually have to go find some part shade bloomers for the front of the house as the porch is north facing and only gets about 4-6 hours of light. Maybe some lily of the valley would be nice. :p

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here's my flowering tobacco plants so far... its the one's next to my foxglove with the HUGE leaves. I think its time to move them!

plants20.jpg

sred98

Leafing Out
Reaction score
LOL! Yeah, I think your foxglove needs to be upgraded! :th I discovered a neat little pack of seeds in the stuff she sent me...it is "Pink Fairy" Lupine. Apparently it is evening scented, also! :celebrate She threw it in as an extra, but now I don't know where to plant it. I have never had luck with Lupines. I don't know if it gets too hot here, or what. It says Zones 6-9 on the package. My house is north-facing, too, so I wonder if I should plant it there?

vfem-how did you sow your reseda? Direct sow or inside? Do you think it will come back this year?

I heard that Lily of the Valley can get invasive, and I know it likes moist soils. Just wanted you to know that. Have you seen the pink??

Shelly

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I did all direct sowing last year, this year I'm doing the opposite! I'm doing a technique testing thing. Only been living here since May, so only been gardening here since last June.

My comos went INSANE outside... and that was direct sowing too.

I'm going to move some plants today in fact!

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
check out Casablanca lilies. They are a gorgeous large white lily with a strong fragrance in the evening or early night, I notice that mine are strongest for the first few hours after nightfall.

sred98

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Oh yeah! :thumbsup Love any oriental lilies and trumpet lilies. They are all really fragrant! :throw I'm getting more Casa Blancas to put in my new yard, too. I am soooo ready for it to warm up so I can start moving my beds around! :pop :barnie LOL!

Nightshade, what other night bloomers do you have? I got some white 4 o'clocks the other day. I hadn't seen those before. Only the colored ones. I can't wait for those to bloom!

Shelly

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I also have a some butter yellow lilies I have no clue what they are, they were given to me buy a lady I sell eggs too. She got them from he sister. They too seem to be really fragrant at night. And mt Star gaziers seem to hold their fragrance well.

There is one rose called a magenta, it is surprising how strongly scented it is at night. Most roses don't seem to be like that, but then again this is one that during the day the fresh blooms can be smelt 10 ft away, it is definitely not one for someone with allergies.

I also normally grow moon flowers and a wild clematis vine also I think it is also called Sweet Autumn. Both of which are not only very pretty but smell wonderful at night.

It seems that most often scented night bloomers are white or light colored. This is because most of them are pollinated by moths that can see the white highly reflective color easier in the darkness then most other colors but are mostly attracted by the heavy scents given off by the blooms.

Hooray for spring and warmer weather! Everything just melted off over the weekend and then it snowed again last night and is suppose to continue to snow off and on all weekend :hit why must it keep teasing me?

vfem - lily of the valley can be very aggressive so make sure you plant it where you want a lot of it, it comes on white and pink and is really easy to care for.

Latest posts