More Seeds!!

dbjay417

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was in the hardware store shopping for parts for an incubator project i'm working on, and I saw a seed rack, and ravaged it. LoL

Pickling Cucumbers
Acorn Squash
Green Zucchini
Yellow Zucchini
and
Butternut Squash

Dont ask me where he heck i'm going to be hosting these vines at. i don't know. i think i may have to 86 the lawn in order to plant more stuff.

Or perhaps start gardening on the roof some how.

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Just plant the vine producing veggies at the edges of your garden-- let the vines crawl across the lawn :)

dbjay417 said:
I was in the hardware store shopping for parts for an incubator project i'm working on, and I saw a seed rack, and ravaged it. LoL

Pickling Cucumbers
Acorn Squash
Green Zucchini
Yellow Zucchini
and
Butternut Squash

Dont ask me where he heck i'm going to be hosting these vines at. i don't know. i think i may have to 86 the lawn in order to plant more stuff.

Or perhaps start gardening on the roof some how.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Up-up-up! Trellis, lattice,fence,hedges, etc. Make the most of what ya' got! lol

dbjay417

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It seems I will have to spend some time in the next 2 weeks constructing all manner of vertical obstacles for them to climb. It surely would alleviate my space issues. I'll be knocking down and moving around bananas in the coming months to accommodate next years planting. I like them and intend to keep many, but they take up too much space and take as much as and often more than a year to produce their single bunch, and then die. Then they will leave in their stead 3 or 4 babies. It makes overcrowding a pain. plus the fruit is not that valuable here in the tropics. I'd rather grow the more expensive stuff. Like bell peppers, and cucumbers which are well over a $1 a lb at the market.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ooooh, I'm planning on doing my pumpkins on the hill in the back of the yard I hate mowing!!! Save me work whether they do well or not! LOL :gig

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
setter4 said:
Up-up-up! Trellis, lattice, fence ,hedges, etc. Make the most of what ya' got! lol
I been meaning to ask about vines going up fences, thats one thing we got going over here is plenty of fence.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
In Square Foot Gardening he has EVERYTHING growing UP! lol

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
square foot gardening is a wonderful little book on how to use space economically especially if you dont have much space and the author trellises all vining plants... check out the book at you local library interesting

Liberty7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've got the SAME problem! Even though I ordered and received all of my seeds (Jung Seeds and Baker Creek,) I can't resist looking (and buying) at the seed racks in every store I go into -- not to even mention making a special trip just to go to one of the big garden centers!

These are what I picked up the other day:

-- Renee's Garden Tricolor Pole Beans (green, yellow & purple)
-- Scarlet Runner Bean
-- Yellow Squash
-- Bell Pepper Color Mix (yellow, green, orange, red, & purple)
-- Burpee Morning Glory 'Old Glory Mix' (red, white & blue)
-- Burpee Petunia Royalty Mix

I'm already planning on 60 feet of vertical growing on the north side of my garden for all the various pole beans and cucumbers.

I have a large suburban back yard with chain-link fence and all southern exposure; and, at various locations ON the chain-link fence, I'm going to grow Waltham butternut squash, birdhouse gourds, and cantaloupe for these vines to climb on.

OH -- and even though I had ordered LOTS of onion sets, to grow as whole onions, I bought 3 bags MORE the other day at the hardware store as they had them for $0.99/bag!!! Couldn't pass that up! These I'll use for spring onions. Plus, I had read in one of the many gardening 'tips' books I've read to keep bags of onion sets in the fridge; and, every time you have a bare spot in the garden, pop some onion sets in for spring onions.

Latest posts