Morning Glory Question

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I planted some 'mixed' morning glories. I have no ideas of the colors or types. One of the plants is completely different then the rest (the size and stem look identical on this one). This 1 has fern type leaves coming in? What type/color of morning glory could this be? I've never seen leaves on a morning glory like these.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Disclaimer: it is by no means unknonw for a packet of seeds to contain a weed seed.

At the same time, there *is* at least one morning glory with sort of ferny, very finely dissected leaves. IIRC it goes by Ipomoea quamoclit in the trade... ok, yes, here ya go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cypress_vine (e.t.a. - Wikipedia's photo sucks. Google for better ones)

I've seen it in person and not been overwhelmingly impressed -- the flowers were pretty small -- but it certainly wasn't ugly.

So maybe that is what you have?

Or of course a weed :p

Have fun,

Pat

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I did a search on google from what you posted for me. I looked at full grown plants, AND seedlings....

I even found a blog with someone growing both together and yes, the seeds look almost alike, and the first opening leaves look alike, they don't look different until you get the first set of true leaves. So yes, I'm pretty sure these are the 'cypress' vines I have growing with my morning glory seedlings.

In about another week or so, they will all be transplanted into 3" peat pots. I need these to cover the fence at the end of the driveway. I'm sure they will even take over the arbor... for which I am hoping!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just to clarify, Ipomoea is the genus of morning glories too. Thus, they *are* morning glories, in a sort of vague botanical way anyhow :)

Have fun,

Pat

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am just trying to figure out why you would ever dream of planting morning glories. I would love to figure out how to get rid of them!!

They take over my garden and try to take down my tomatoes. I am thinking of doing a good burn down before I do any soil prep to try and get rid of any seeds from them.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Morning glories grow differently throughout the country. If you're talking about what we call Bindweed then yes, it's very invasive and difficult to get rid of - sort of. Convolvulus is related to Ipomoea, both contain very weedy members as well as very showy members. I grow Heavenly Blue morning glories every year and while I pull seedlings in the spring, I've never had them become invasive.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Generally, they don't get invasive around here. They are annuals, and sow rather easily.... but sometimes they don't do so well in our clay soil... so they don't spread as easily as one would think. They try to stay contained to the better soil... such as fences around farm areas, horse pastures and such.

My mom planted some years ago.... after that summer, it never came back.

I do have a special controlled location where if anything sprouts up where I don't want it, its taken care of. Its on the fence at the end of the driveway next to my dogs 'run' area... which not much will survive in!

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think morning glories are beautiful, but they are only annuals around here. I think they can self-seed, tho. I'm going to plant some this summer, and I really hope they reseed. My grandpa had beautiful purple ones when I was a kid.

Also, we have a lot on bindweed around here, and honestly, I think it's so pretty. It hasn't caused me any problems yet, tho. In a few years, I may have changed my tune. ;)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bindweed looks pretty, but pretty nasty too looking at the vines the flowers are on. Doesn't bindweed crawl on the ground?!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You know what I actually think bindweed flowers are pretty, esp. in a mown lawn :p (that does not stop me from hating it and working to kill kill KILL it in my own garden and lawn of course!)

Yes, it crawls on the ground, but it also snakes up plants or etc if given the chance. I've seen it about 4' high, dunno what its limits are. It is kind of a teacup kudzu, really ;)

Pat

Latest posts