Morning mist over the lake

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is the part of the season now where the forest becomes beautiful, cool and moisture is in the air.
Here is a photo from last week, when the air first felt slightly moist.

9018_100_4153.jpg

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is a quote from Silent Spring:

"Water, soil, and the earth's green mantle of plants make up the world that supports the animal life of the earth. Although modern man seldom remembers the fact, he could not exist without the plants that harness the sun's energy and manufacture the basic foodstuffs he depends upon for life....The earth's vegetation is part of a web of life in which there are intimate and essential relations between plants and the earth, between plants and other plants, between plants and animals. Sometimes we have no choice but to disturb the relationships, but we should do so thoughtfully - with full awareness that what we do may have consequences remote in time and place."

- Rachel Carson ( 1907-1964 ) Silent Spring 1962

There have always been organic gardeners and farmers, but the tradition of organic methods was being lost. Many were forgetting our world. Children, myself included, were being shown school movies, (film, projectors, that rapid whirring clickzzzjjj sound), of places being overrun by Locusts, and such, and how through the miracles of modern chemistry plagues of insect infestation would become a thing of the past. Then came this.

Soon after came the new organic movements. Now it is time to see the world in its beauty. Where you are. Where I am.

The full moon rising over Lake Pillsbury last week. Taken from behind my garden.

9018_100_4164.jpg

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
And soon the season progresses
And it is naturally so
That the mists from the sky
Carried from the ocean

They find their ways here
Each day lasting longer
In a play with the sun
Bringing moisture to the forest

Thirsty soil darkening, growing

9018_100_4133.jpg

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is a picture I took of the same place a couple winters ago, from a slightly different place, more wide angled. Notice the big pine was cut down. It was a somewhat historical pine, sentimental for being there and hanging on so long, but it began to pose a danger of falling onto C dock.

9018_100_0700.jpg

In this photo C dock is still out because the lake is rising fast from snow melt.

Yes indeed, I took these photos with my little kodak digital.

Some folks tell me to copyright my photos. Ha. I say, if anybody uses my pictures to make money, they owe me some donuts! and a pizza if they make a lot.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Great seeing your artistic side, Marshall. Wonderful pics and words.

Working in the soil and being one with the earth sounds so natural and peaceful, but in reality, when I am out in 99 degree weather with 99% humidity and gnats trying to land in my eyes, it's not nearly as pleasing as I had hoped it would be. Looking at your photos is better.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cooler weather feels a lot better for me too, especially with my hyperthyroid metabolism.

Latest posts