Most Inconsequential Weed

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some of us might be willing to admit that we have a favorite weed. Maybe it is one that is as tasty as any veggie and appreciated as much. For me that would be lamb's quarters - which doesn't even cause me very much trouble in the garden, anyway :). Or, maybe it prized as a compost ingredient and almost worth growing just for that purpose . . .

Here is one that I just don't mind, at all. It is so incredibly small and incredibly early that I can't take any offense at it being around!

It is a filaree and, perhaps, the white-stem filaree but there is a red-stem filaree here, with its purple flower that is a much larger plant. However, most any plant larger than algae would be larger than these little guys with their tiny white flowers:

DSC00018.JPG

This filaree grows in the permanent paths and fringes of my gardens and never causes any trouble. I don't know what happens to them during May and after. They just seem to disappear!

Do you have a favorite weed or one that with no faults ;)? By the way, large filaree species are considered a valuable livestock forage but they probably do cause some trouble in cultivated crops.

digitS'

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Dandelions :D

I use them to make tonic and I also feed them to the ducks.

Another favorite around here is purslane. High in omega 3's and very nutritious. I eat it in salads and the ducks also get their share.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have to say lambsquarter... I even transplanted some into a row one year, to go with the other "greens" yummmm.!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Quite a few gardens have lambs quarter grown as a vegetable. They're both delicious and nutritious. When grown in fertile soil with regular watering the leaves get quite big. The Indians used to harvest the seed heads while still green and use them in stew.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
Quite a few gardens have lambs quarter grown as a vegetable. They're both delicious and nutritious. When grown in fertile soil with regular watering the leaves get quite big. The Indians used to harvest the seed heads while still green and use them in stew.
interesting...never thought of seed heads in stew, but why not ? I like the wild mix of spring- poke, sour dock, johnny jump up, lambsquarter, others that names wont come to mind right now, WITH cornbread and green onions, and fried potatoes... uh oh am I getting off subject??

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, no! It is wonderful if these sorts of things are just sprinkled around us like manna from heaven! We spend so much time and energy concerned about invasive evil.

I'm thinking that I'd better be scouting around for some good dandelion roots for roasting and coffee. I'm spending too much for a better decaf to mix with the caffeinated these days!

Roses are red,
Violets are blue;
But they don't get around
Like the dandelions do.
~ Slim Acres

Free The Weed!

Steve :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm with wife, I like the dandelions... and clover... they make FANTASTIC jelly. Makes me grateful we don't spray around here. :D

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I like the orange hawkweed that's all throughout part of our lawn. Not for any medicinal use but just because it is so *purty*. We mow around a large patch while it's blooming, just so I can see the bright orange-yellow-purplish flowers whenever the sun is out :p

Pat

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My dad used to dig up clover and violas and cuss at them for "ruining his lawn". I intentionally toss clover and viola seeds on the grass :D

I snag handfuls of clover and toss it to the quail and ducks. Plus the clover is good for the bees.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now that I have bees, I am much less worried about flowering weeds! In fact, the violets are the first flowers to bloom in my woodland garden. Nothing warms my heart, like seeing them...I also think of all weeds as chicken food. So, instead of thinking about weeding as a chore, I think of it as harvesting food for the chickens!

Latest posts