Most Inconsequential Weed

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know, if you have one of those dandelion diggers: You can pop the dandelions out of your lawn, put them in a plastic bag and nuke them in the microwave.

The chickens will eat every bit, roots and all.

They don't even care if you've washed the dandelions before cooking. (But, unless you want the kitchen to smell like roasted dirt . . . ;))

Steve
:caf
i wonder if these other members of the chickory family like hawkweed would be good as coffee substitutes . . . . maybe, i'd better stick with the dandelions.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm afraid my chickens aren't gourmets, Steve. They eat every bit of the plant, uncooked! I just throw them on the ground and watch them disappear!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The ducks saw me near one of the garden beds. They rioted until I brought them dandelions. They know that one spot is where a lot of dandelions grow :D

instead of thinking about weeding as a chore, I think of it as harvesting food for the chickens!
It's not nearly as annoying when you are "harvesting" vs weeding :D

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh I miss my poke salad since leaving Oklahoma. It was always the first Spring green.
I always looked forward to the tiny Spring Beauties. The first Spring wild flowers to show up.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is probably more of a wild flower than a weed, I don't the difference sometimes. It's pleasantly everywhere.
Anybody know the name?

Oh, and the tractor is not to scale.

7504_teg_projects045.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, thistle! I love your woman on a tractor!! So adorable! I am afraid I don't know what your little pink flowers are, except cute!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
. . . I've about trashed my idea that it might be a pink primrose (Oenothera something, or other).

It seems like I've seen them and thought, "They look like pink strawberry flowers!." But, that's the flower not the plant. I'm not at all familiar with them, Thistle'.

Are they just growing out in the pines?

Steve

Latest posts