Mother's Day Ice Cream

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We took my poor, sweet, dear old mutter out fir Icity Cream at KD today (incited by my getting mild heat stroke), and I got my favourite flaver - Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. Now, as soon as I took one bite, I began to think too much. First, going through the ingredients mentally, there's the milk. Milk from some Antibiotic-enraged bessie living in a psychic hell of robots and weird lights and roxarxone. Then the chocolate. The chocolate chips tasted like Anice. Then the dough. The 'dough, made from a combination of Genetically modified and copyrighted wheat grown in a field in dirt filled with Tylenol overdoses and more roxarxone, and gum from some kind of semi-toxic tree grown by one of those countries in malaysia that keeps changing it's name. The dough may or may not be inoculated with Estrogen. Not sure. Kinda hard to tell, but probably. Then I remembered that I've been milk-intolerant since 2010. Then I remembered back in the day. Back in the day, Mom would announce that we were going to make Ice cream and I'd go down to the root cellar and get the freezer while Marsha would run out and see about fresh milk. While in the cellar, I'd sift through various potential ingredients: Strawberries, Apricots, Sugarplums, Rutabagas, Onions, Potatoes, Tumeric Powder, and would finally decide upon something. I'd put it by the freezer while I went and got the ice. Then Marsha would come in with the milk and pick out the cocoa and pour it in and leave. Then I'd come back and pour in the Peaches, probably without looking at the clearly dark chocolate milk. Isn't it great having had siblings who want different flavours than you? Ahh, you shoulda seen my face when I saw brown Ice cream later.... but that was back in the day. They don't make ICe cream like that anymore :(
It may have tasted funny, but we loved it, becasue it came from in here {*points to arbitrary region in upper torso*}

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We used to make ice cream with my grampa. We had the old hand crank version for a long long time. Those were some of th best tasting bowls of ice cream I've ever had!

I told my husband that I wanted an old ice cream maker for my birthday. :)

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I think an ice cream maker just went to the top of my christmas list. I think you can still get the hand crank ones, and cranking ice cream is one chore that kids are always willing to do.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have an electric one and it doesn't seem to crank long enough to get the ice cream hard. But after it "seasons" for an hour or so, with blankets wrapped around the whole thing to keep it cold, it's so yummy. When I was a kid, the ice came in a 50 lb block. We kids had contests to see who could sit on the block of ice the longest.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was at Kitchens ETC just the other day and they had hand cranked ice cream makers...kid's'll crank that for hours to get the yummy reward at the end... when I was a kid mama would put us to work whipping cream for strawberry short cake...with a hand held rottery mixer...the best ever...

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
so lucky said:
We still make home made ice cream once in a while, but...not....choco-peach. No thank you.
Yeah... :sick

The last home made ice cream we made was Lemon sorbet, so I guess I can't call it Ice cream.

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lots of fond memories of doing the hand-crank ice cream thing when I was a kid.. We have a motorized version but as previously mentioned it doesn't do the greatest job of hardening the ice cream.. Next time I'll probably see about buying about 2-3 lb of dry ice (prefereably in pellet form) to throw in with the ice + salt to really get it good-n-cold. I suppose you could mount a more beefy motor on it that would be perhaps an old washing machine motor -- that ought to have enough torque to do the job right

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Loooove your story. I try not to think toooo much when I'm out eating!

I want an ice cream ball. Anyone have one?

Latest posts