Mottled Grey Bean Grow-Out, 2017 (Year 3)

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
6/30/17

Now that the plant pods are well on their way, some comparisons can be made, at least in general terms between the plants of different pots (differences between individual plants will have to wait for another day)

Pot 2 (most beans, at all but 2 with pods) Plants short, appear to be bushy to very weak climbers. Pods smooth solid pale green, fairly wide, shortish maybe middle finger length to slightly less) My be mostly a quick burst, cold lover (produce early in the cool weather, collapses in the heat)

Pot 1 (1 plant with pods). Strong climber. Pods a bit longer and more slender than on 2. Surface HEAVILY covered with bristly hairs giving a "sticky" feel. green with few streaks of blackish/brownish.

Pot 2 (0 pods yet) Similar to 1 (expected, as 3 is plants removed from 1 for mottled cots.)

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't want to take a picture yet (until they are fully dried) but I harvested my first two pods yesterday. Seed is as I expected, white with purple speckles and eye, and a bit shorter/smaller than last year (i.e. looking like what went in). Two more pods almost ready (on a different plant).

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Harvested first seed from Pot #1 today. Longer seeds more kidney shaped and purple mottled with white/lighter purple.

Pot #2 almost totally harvested (two more pods on one plant). Given how many leaves they are losing, do not expect much in terms of new growth.

Latest posts