Mouse effing with my acorns?

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So I had recently planted aome red oak, pin oak and buckeye seeds in my seedling closet and I recently found two of my red oaks and one of my pin oaks with their sprout tips laying on the top of the dirt. In two of the cases I couldn't even find the acorn and in the other it was on top of the soil. Nothing happened to my buckeyes or other acorns, so it's odd for it to be three. Thoughts? Wondering if a mouse got up there and messed with stuff and decided it wasnt for him/her. Reminds me of a squirrel

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So I had recently planted aome red oak, pin oak and buckeye seeds in my seedling closet and I recently found two of my red oaks and one of my pin oaks with their sprout tips laying on the top of the dirt. In two of the cases I couldn't even find the acorn and in the other it was on top of the soil. Nothing happened to my buckeyes or other acorns, so it's odd for it to be three. Thoughts? Wondering if a mouse got up there and messed with stuff and decided it wasnt for him/her. Reminds me of a squirrel
They are al the same, Rats, Squirrels, All they do is mess up the plants, fruits, and even livestock.. better get rid of them fast... good luck...

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They are al the same, Rats, Squirrels, All they do is mess up the plants, fruits, and even livestock.. better get rid of them fast... good luck...
I have about 20 yellow buckeye seeds to plant this year for my tree farm.. I started 10 of them inside and am planning to put the other 10 out in the pots that I already have in the ground about 4/5 full of dirt, then top them off with soil. However, my one worry it putting them in those pots and some squirrel coming along and smelling some fresh buckeye seeds and stealing them :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have about 20 yellow buckeye seeds to plant this year for my tree farm.. I started 10 of them inside and am planning to put the other 10 out in the pots that I already have in the ground about 4/5 full of dirt, then top them off with soil. However, my one worry it putting them in those pots and some squirrel coming along and smelling some fresh buckeye seeds and stealing them :)

we have to use hardware metal mesh to keep the chipmunks from eating any seeds we put in pots/planters. once they are up and growing then the mesh comes off and then we have to hide things from the deer or put them inside the fenced area. there's way too much wildlife around here that finds the things we grow as their personal salad bar. which is expected when you're in the middle of monocultural fields of either corn or soybeans.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have used Plantskydd as a deer repellent, and it's labeled as a squirrel and rabbit repellent also. I either read it in their literature or read a reviewer that said they presoak flower bulbs in it to deter squirrels and chipmunks from digging them up and apparently it works well that way.
I buy the powdered form and it doesn't smell when mixed. The reviews that complain about the smell are the ones using the RTU spray, which does smell bad. The powder is cheaper and makes more.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We tried to get rid of those rats here again... they are really persistent. I can't think of anything else to do to get rid of them permanently. any tips?

Latest posts