Moved my greenhouse

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH, DS, and I moved my greenhouse from in front of the house (where the garden used to be) to a spot not far from the chicken coop.
greenhouse moved near coop.JPG

The building needs a bit of repair. I intend to use the old window material -- doubling it up for the lower walls -- and buy new material for the ceiling. I plan to use the 12 feet between the buildings to make a covered winter run for the chickens and once the building is fixed up, I can get light to it from the coop. That will allow for longer day periods in the spring as well as the possibility of enough heat to raise the inside by one or two growing zones.

This move came about as a sudden decision by DH. Whatever DH wants he gets, so down the hill it went. I will get more use out of it in the new place and I can give the 6' x 8' greenhouse (Harbor Freight) a new lease on life.
greenhouse .JPG

For now, the greenhouse will have a dirt floor. I hope to have ground level planter built that I can fill with chicken litter for warmth and plant over that. Just hope and experiment right now.

The old site for the green house had a tiled block floor. For a long time I've wanted to move the greenhouse and put the monstrously heavy picnic table on the floor where I won't have to move it every time I mow. In the picture, DH is grubbing out half a dozen baby evergreens I stuck into the ground behind the greenhouse. 20 years later and still in their pots, DH is cussing each and every one that grew.
greenhouse gone.JPG

Looking at the floor, I was wondering how I could get some shade for the table. Right now the table is moved about under some big old burr oak trees. I decided something like a pergola would be nice. Son was over this morning to pick up tools for a bathroom redo in town and said something about not having shade for the picnic table. Then he decided he would make something like a pergola over the flooring where vines could climb up the structure and provide shade and color.

Did I rear him right or not?

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You've obviously done things right over there.

Sounds like a better use of space for sure. And are you running a light inside to try to raise the temp? Trying to be sure I read that right.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a great move! The chickens will enjoy the home improvement, and I think the block pad will be an excellent spot for a picnic table.
Especially with a pergola cover. Ooh, and you could plant a bunch of clematis to grow over it! I recommend Sweet Summer love for one of the corners. :)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
A nice change! How did you move the greenhouse in one piece without taking it apart?
After unscrewing the greenhouse from the foundation, we screwed an 8 foot 2x4 board to the rear (6 foot) end. DH and I each carried one end of the 2x4 while son carried the door end. Nothing to it! The whole thing is aluminum and light as heck. I was more worried about bending the aluminum, but the board worked just fine.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did you caulk the panels when you first built it?
No, there was rubber gasket that installed around the panels as a seal. Now that there is spray on seal-in-a-can (As seen on TV) I was thinking of using that to seal the windows this time.

I purchased more holding clips and rubber gasket a few years ago when I had plans to fix the building. I just like the idea of sealing it up a bit better.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
We'll be looking forward to seeing what you grow in your newly located greenhouse. Interesting how putting something in a new location so it's a bit handier can change the use exponentially.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's what growing in the old greenhouse location. I will never have to move that hulking table to mow, ever again.
Table new site.JPG

DH took all the surrounding vegetation down and make a gradual incline to the block flooring. Now, we have to wait and see how long it takes for a vine covered pergola to 'grow' over the table.

Last edited:

Latest posts