Moving Perenials inside

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have several plants I want to winter over in a cold sunroom over the winter,,, it will freeze in there but not hit the 10 or 20 below that it gets outside.

should I water these plants that will be in at least six inch pots, some much bigger, over the winter? How do I know when to water? Just water on wamer days?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do not know what kinds of plants they are, but in general, they should be in good clean potting soil. It is best if they are well rooted and established, and now is the time to uppot them or scrape and top the soil, followed by a month of good slowing growth.

As the temps cool reduce the watering. Allow no stagnant water. Let the plants realize the days are shortening, and allow dormancy or semidormancy depending on what kind of plants they are. Some sunrooms may become bone dry aired, others may become dank damp chilled. Try to moderate between the two. For some reason a lot of plants die if the air is bone dry, like up in southwest Montana. If the air gets that damp wet cold nosed humid, things like damping off can get out of control, rot at the soil line and such.

These things here are just in general. I don't know what kinds of plants you have. Cactus want things drier. Marsh Marigold leans toward the moistness.

Deciduous dormant things need different care than evergreen things, different than amaryllis, or a dieback perennial...

Latest posts