Moving strawberry plants

Coolbreeze89

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have a handful of strawberry plants that I planted in a container last spring. I’d like to move them to a different container (I need their deeper container for carrots!). Is it ok to do that now? Later in spring? (Im in Texas). A few already have flowers. I will carryover as much surrounding dirt as I can to avoid traumatizing them. Thanks!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
In a container in Central Texas and already blooming. I don't know where those containers are as far as protection from weather.

I don't worry about traumatizing strawberry plants, they are pretty tough. I would not want them to dry out or get wet feet. Protect them from freezing as that could dry them out. I don't know how many berries you will get this year if you don't transplant them. transplant them now, or wait, but I'd go for it now.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
if they're flowering then moving them now isn't the best time. but if you do move them with as much of the root ball intact as possible that will surely help. for the most part here i try to get all strawberries moved in the early fall or late summer depending upon the temperatures. you want them to be well rooted up here or they can get frost-heaved right out of the ground.

Coolbreeze89

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
In a container in Central Texas and already blooming. I don't know where those containers are as far as protection from weather.

I don't worry about traumatizing strawberry plants, they are pretty tough. I would not want them to dry out or get wet feet. Protect them from freezing as that could dry them out. I don't know how many berries you will get this year if you don't transplant them. transplant them now, or wait, but I'd go for it now.
They’re in full sun on my back porch in a non-movable container (big trough). I cover them anytime frost is expected. Part of why I want to move them is that they got BAKED last summer in August. I‘m going to move them to a container with a little more of a break from direct sun (yet still generally sunny).

We;re hitting 70 today with no freezing expected for at least a week, so I’ll give it a go. Thanks!

Coolbreeze89

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
if they're flowering then moving them now isn't the best time. but if you do move them with as much of the root ball intact as possible that will surely help. for the most part here i try to get all strawberries moved in the early fall or late summer depending upon the temperatures. you want them to be well rooted up here or they can get frost-heaved right out of the ground.
Last year was my first attempt at growing ANYTHING! I’ve learned so much...but I didn’t anticipate fall vs spring transplants! :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm not sure your ground ever really freezes there or not, but i think you could probably get by transplanting strawberries almost anytime through the winter as long as you can get a shovel in the ground. once they start flowering though they're best to not be interrupted until after they're done fruiting.

Latest posts