Mow High or Low

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I was dissuaded from jumping in now by the prospect of winter kill. It's something I wonder about when the lawn violets look like they have increased their colonies in the spring.

Okay ... I probably procrastinated long enuf since rain is likely over the next 3 or 4 days. But, no one mentioned thatch ... unless that is why they have been shearing it off like I have. It really does help with that.

If I don't mow it again, does a thatching blade on the mower make sense. I've never used one but have had struggles getting started in the spring, mowing a mess. If my wrist feels in the spring like it has the last few weeks, I'm no gonna be out there on the lawn with a garden rake.

Steve

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Digits, violets be so pretty!!! Why you want to kill them??? Look at these lovelies that volunteered in one of our trees....
100_3059.jpg
100_3061.jpg

This year year this plant was even bigger and more lush, filling the entire hole. I leave it there, hoping it will keep coming back.

Same with the dandelions....they are so lovely I can't imagine not having them in the lawn by the hundreds, like we do.

100_3004.jpg
100_3007.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It won't winter kill unless you scalp it. The lower height going into winter discourages snow mold. Thatch isn't caused by leaving clippings, contrary to popular belief. Instead it's a result of watering too lightly.
I never collect my clippings and I don't have thatch.
So go ahead and mow if you want. The clippings will break down and feed your lawn. Or leave it the way it is (I am this year) and if you do get a little snow mold, it still recovers quickly once it begins it's spring growth.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Expensive Lawn mowing story. living in the city all my life, lawns where about the size of a postage stamp. Never any need for riding mower. When I bought the country house lawn was gigantic to me. I was looking though a home depot flyer and saw they where having a sale on riding mowers. I picked one out based on photos in flyer and called to buy. The girl who answered phone was kind of surprised I was buying one without seeing it. I remember giving her some snarky reply, I don't need to test drive take my credit card info and deliver it next week. When it was delievered I could not wait to use. I filled up the gas tank and added oil, jumped on started up and took off. The high grass along the pond was filled with snakes hunting frogs. That grass was getting cut first I was sitting high up on mower so not afraid of snakes. I drove straight down to waters edge turned wheel thinking mower would handle like a car. It didn't turn I drove straight into water getting stuck in the mud with my brand new mower. I was by myself and didn't know any of the neighbors yet, so I had to call a tow truck to tow mower out of pond. Because this was a sight you don't see everyday all the neighbors came out to watch the " city Boy" mower get towed. Mower was ruin and home depot told me sorry warrentay does not cover riding under water.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

LOVE your stories, NY...just priceless, they are. :gig :gig:gig:gig:gig

The visual on that is just making me gasp! :lol: I just have to ask...what were you wearing? Hopefully it was a spectacular garden hat.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy It didn't have breaks? You must have went to the same driving school as my daughter....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Goobily Goop, @Nyboy !

No. They aren't so easily handled. I once had a retired state patrolman neighbor who rolled one off the side of his hill into a gully. Nearly got hurt on that one!

Another neighbor's ride caught on fire while he was mowing his orchard. Not only burned his lawnmower beyond salvage but damaged a tree. He also had a tow truck carry it off. I bet he walked away and left it running a long while. He's inclined to do that with other things ...

Well, I decided earlier today that since it hadn't started raining, I could mow this morning. It's now raining. So!!! Either way, I'm satisfied ... surely it will snow soon or below zero weather will hit!

:D Steve

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
with family coming fired up the g/t up put the deck on medium and mulched the leafs looks down right nice, still have a couple mulchings to due this fall the leafs are taking their sweat time falling this year....

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I decided earlier today that since it hadn't started raining, I could mow this morning. It's now raining. So!!! Either way, I'm satisfied ... surely it will snow soon or below zero weather will hit!

:D Steve
I was planning a trip to town for a meal when I read this thread. Now I am torn between a sociable meal and spending the rest of the day on the mower. So much of the lawn really needs a trim before winter....

We had our first hard freeze last night -- set a record for being so late in the year -- I'm thinking if I don't mow soon the snow will make it impossible until spring and spring raking of overgrown grass 'taint fun.

Guess I'll settle for a quick hot soup and a long set on the mower.

Latest posts