Mugo Pine

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Early in Feb., I purchased 8 dwarf Mugo Pines and they were thriving. This past month we had a number of small showers every 2 - 4 days apart totaling 0.01 to 0.04 inches of rain.This morning I noticed that there is a white powdery growth at the leading top branches. :hu The older Mugo pines that I had purchased several years ago currently are not affected. Can anyone clue me in as to what it is as well as what do I do to erradicate it ? :caf

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hard to tell without a picture, but it sounds like scale.
It can be treated with a systemic, or sprayed with a horticultural oil to smother it. I have successfully treated a large weeping White pine with the hort oil. It's most effectively treated in the spring when the insects are moving about. They are a bit harder to kill later in the year. Look up "pine scale" and see if that describes your trees issue.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hard to tell without a picture, but it sounds like scale.fter
It can be treated with a systemic, or sprayed with a horticultural oil to smother it. I have successfully treated a large weeping White pine with the hort oil. It's most hi Reffectively treated in the spring when the insects are moving about. They are a bit harder to kill later in the year. Look up "pine scale" and see if that describes your trees issue.
Hi thistlebloom .... Thank you for your post and recommendation for treatment. I have been in and out of the hospital after I had a doctor's appointment and was instantly abducted by ambulance alliense and rushed to the Oregon hospital for mri, catscans, and 3-4 visits per day by blood sucking vampires for more and more tests. Also, additional Lasix ivs. as well as a cocktail of other meds. :bow When not in the hospital , I stayed at my son's home in Oregon as he lives just a few miles away, therefore very close to go get dayly treatments. my personal Doctor ( my granddaughter ) takes very good care of me too. :celebrateNeedless to say, I still haven't had an opportunity to make use of your recommended treatments. :hit

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Guess who is back in a hospital again ? :th I had a sudden increase of fluid retention on my lungs, so the doctor ordered another layup in a hospital. Took 3 hours for the doctor to find a hospital bed, this time in Washington with a 14 hour waite in their emergency lobby before I got a room in the nose bleed section on the 6th floor. o_O

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm really sorry too read how you are suffering and hope you are being treated now to make your breathing improve. Get well soon

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i hope you recover soon! this is just a tough time to be anywhere near a hospital or doctor's office.

Latest posts