Mulberry Trees and Rabbits

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I mail ordered a mulberry tree for this spring for berries. In some places mulberry are almost weeds. Smart red once wrote" it seems like every 3 tree here is a mulberry". I have been doing a lot of reding on them. Seens like rabbits love eatting the leaves. One man with over 100 rabbits planted Mulberry just for the leaves. If you have rabbits you might want to plant some mulbeery trees, they grow very fast. If you know where wild ones are you can get free rabbit food!!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Willow withes are also rabbit forage. Those are the long limber new branches. Aspirin originally came from the white inner layer of bark on a willow. Blackberry leaves are good for rabbits too and have medicinal properties. The leaves will slow or halt diarrhea.

What kind of rabbits do you have? Pictures please!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good to know about mulberry leaves although I've never seen a rabbit in the tree eating them. Of course, right now everything is snow - and ice - covered so leaves of any kind are hard to find.

Poor Rusty (the fertilizer rabbit) is out of food and the roads are ice covered. I did find a few 'treats' for him and gave him some of the chicken's oat and corn scratch, but know we can't go long on treats. Does that mean I can harvest some willow branches now, during the winter for him to enjoy?

Love, Smart Red

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a black Mulberry tree, I feed the branches during winder and leaves during summer. Same with Sycamore and Willow.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why is such a helpful tree considered a weed tree by some?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I never think of mulberry as a weed, I just placed a order for one. I think in some parts of the country the wild ones selfseed like crazy.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Why is such a helpful tree considered a weed tree by some?
A friend has a fruiting type Mulberry tree in his front yard... when he annually hard prunes it in the winter , by next fall the new branches have grown about 5 feet. The fruit is very flavorfull and I eat it by double handfulls :drool when I go to visit him. The local birds devour the berries with great relish and the numerous seeds are deposited all over the neighborhood, :throw then next spring they sprout all over the neighborhood. :ep

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If you have a lot of wild mulberry around the birds will go easier on your cherries.My grandma had a huge mulberry in her yard. When she was ready to harvest she'd spread old sheets on the ground under the tree and then send as many kids as she could round up to climb the tree and shake the branches. It would rain ripe mulberries.

Latest posts