Mulch questions

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
One horse goes through about 25 bales/hay/month--do the math.
Whoa Ducks! :D What are the size of your bales? My hardest keeper went through about 6.5 bales/month of timothy. A little less when I supplemented with alfalfa. Those were standard ( out here ) 80 to 100 pound bales.

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. Our yard does not have enough good grass to work in this endeavor but we do have access to a property that is mowed monthly and has an entire large (machine lifted) trash can that is full every time, that I could get the clippings from.. I'm not sure I'll try the newspaper although I do have plenty.. The issue with it's use in our backyard is that the shredded paper blows all over the place making a big mess. When you use the paper do you cover it with something else or ?? If it gets buried it would seem to defeat the purpose of using it as mulch -- at least I'd think..

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just a cautionary note on the commercial grass clippings. You'll want to find out if they have been using a weed and feed fertilizer on them, ( and I would be very, very surprised if they weren't ) if so you will not want to use it on your garden.

The herbicide contained in treated lawns does dissipate when composted, but there's debate as to how long that takes.
If you use it uncomposted as a mulch it will have a bad effect on your crops.

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In this case I know there's no chemicals used as I'm the one taking care of that lawn.. :D

There's not been any pesticides used for multiple years (>5 or perhaps even 10).. But it is a good idea to point that out as others in similar situations may need to dig into that issue to be sure.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really like using layers of newspaper with straw on top. I have also used cardboard instead of newspaper. Just make sure you water the stuff in if you can, due to the high winds we have in the spring. I'd hate to see all the newspaper blow all over the neighborhood. I also lay some tomato stakes on top. Or fence posts, logs, rocks, what ever I have, to keep the mulch in place till the rain settles it a bit.
This method really brings in the earthworms. You will see when you turn over the soil next year.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I use the newspaper and straw or leaves as a mulch in the veggie garden...just put down wet newspapers and pin it down with rocks pieces of wood what ever then put the straw or chopped leaves down and if you use the leaves you really should water those down so they wont blow away... a couple bales o f straw goes a a long why in my 58 x 25 veggie plot

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
thistlebloom said:
ducks4you said:
One horse goes through about 25 bales/hay/month--do the math.
Whoa Ducks! :D What are the size of your bales? My hardest keeper went through about 6.5 bales/month of timothy. A little less when I supplemented with alfalfa. Those were standard ( out here ) 80 to 100 pound bales.
UNfortunately, local growers are fooling us with about the same$ for smaller square bales--~40 lbs. I used to be able to buy 60-75 lb bales. This winter my 3: 1,100 lb QH, 1,200 lb KMH and 1,300 lb (16'3hh gelding) were stalled and ate ~one 12-flake bale +3 flakes/day. In 2011 I bought my hay--385 bales worth--for $4/bale BUT I had to pick it all up. It was grass/alfalfa and alfalfa. I loaded 165 bales of it out of a field 6 miles from my house--THAT's a workout.
Fortunately, I own 3 horses with 4 acres of turnout. In IL, in a normal year, they can graze fully 7 months/year. This year they are on pasture one month early. This morning nobody had touched the hay in the manger in their shelter, so I know.
Not complaining, but the heavier bales stack much better, too.
Here is my rebuilt manger in the 16 x 19 ft. shelter adjacent to the barn:
January2012chickenstallpictures023.jpg

December2011brandnewcamerapictures098.jpg

"Buster Brown" thinks he OWNS it.
January2012chickenstallpictures024.jpg

January2012Buster3.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wowee, having turnout is a real good thing these days isn't it? I know hay prices took a leap when gas went up, I was buying from a local farmer for $6/bale, then sold the last of my horses a few years back.
I haven't had to buy hay until recently, couldn't handle not having a horse around so I bought a "toy" horse. He's 8 hands and about 240 pounds, so definitely affordable. Not rideable, but definitely affordable! :p