Mums Blooming Twice

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Does anyone know if mums will bloom a second time if they just finished blooming now? I live in the PNW so it can get really chilly in the winter!
Once I got some purple mums in June and they were in full bloom. I enjoyed them indoors until the blooms faded and then I planted them out in my garden. Later that year in fall they bloomed a second time! That was totally unexpected!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are you asking if they can survive the Winter, yes they can. Or, at least, some varieties can. I believe that you should find info right here, Dahlia:

If you are thinking that they may bloom over the next 3 or 4 months, in your location, I sure don't think so.

Steve

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Does anyone know if mums will bloom a second time if they just finished blooming now? I live in the PNW so it can get really chilly in the winter!
Once I got some purple mums in June and they were in full bloom. I enjoyed them indoors until the blooms faded and then I planted them out in my garden. Later that year in fall they bloomed a second time! That was totally unexpected!
Mums are short-daylight plants, which means they need at least 12 hours of uninterrupted darkness to form flower buds. Therefore, it's one of the most common plants that commercial nurseries will easily manipulate the flowering time via light and temperature control.

That's usually why the blooming mums are available in June; otherwise, they usually start forming flower buds after the summer equinox and blossom in late summer or early autumn.

When they blossom in early summer, you can cut them back after the flowers are faded and feed them. It's very likely that they will form the next buds like others planted in the garden and bring you the second blossom in late autumn.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mums are short-daylight plants, which means they need at least 12 hours of uninterrupted darkness to form flower buds. Therefore, it's one of the most common plants that commercial nurseries will easily manipulate the flowering time via light and temperature control.

That's usually why the blooming mums are available in June; otherwise, they usually start forming flower buds after the summer equinox and blossom in late summer or early autumn.

When they blossom in early summer, you can cut them back after the flowers are faded and feed them. It's very likely that they will form the next buds like others planted in the garden and bring you the second blossom in late autumn.
Well I trimmed off all of the old blooms. I'll just wait for flowers to show up again next year! Thx for all the information re mums!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Even WM will sell small mums every Spring. THAT is when to buy them, so that they can go right into the ground and set good roots to survive the winter. They will live for about 3 years, and some clever people here know how to create mum clones that threaten to take over the world.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Even WM will sell small mums every Spring. THAT is when to buy them, so that they can go right into the ground and set good roots to survive the winter. They will live for about 3 years, and some clever people here know how to create mum clones that threaten to take over the world.
Those tiny plants are growing now from the bottom. So, when the spring comes, all you need to do is cut the basal plants with some roots, transplant them (when spring frost is no longer a threat), and you will get completely new mums.
479_1.jpg

Latest posts