Musa Manzano - Apple Banana

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've been growing a few banana trees (Ensete Maurelii - Red Abyssinian, Musa Manzano - Apple Banana & a Musa Basjoo - very cold hardy) since last fall and am REALLY excited to see if the Manzano can get to a flower stage by fall.
OI000008.jpg

That being said we had a huge hail storm hit the other day that put the hurt on my trees. I'm sure they'll bounce back but I was super worried about them being seriously harmed in the storm, but luckily the damage was limited to leaf shredding.

IMG_20170611_140612_561.jpg

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bounced back from all the hail and doing strong. Not sure I'll see fruit this year, so I think I should order another now to grow over winter

IMAG0571.jpg

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had no clue you could grow a banana tree outside in your kind of climate. I have a hard time with the one in my house.
That is a pretty lil' tree, so glad the storm didn't do any major damage to it.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had no clue you could grow a banana tree outside in your kind of climate. I have a hard time with the one in my house.
That is a pretty lil' tree, so glad the storm didn't do any major damage to it.
The hail beat it and everything else to hell, but I'm glad everything seemed to bounce back. Getting it to grow is only part of the fun, the other part will be getting it to flower.

I have low hopes that this will survive the winter, however, in the background is a musa Basjoo, and that has the potential of surviving the winter if I protect it right

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
20170830_182626.jpg
Manzano has been doing well. It's even popped out a pup :). That being said it's almost time to dig it and all of its buddies out of the ground to bring inside for overwintering.

20170910_154659_HDR.jpg
The ensete maurelii is also doing great as you can see here behind three of my kids. It's over a year old at this point. In front of them are two more baby manzanos in pots :). The older manzano is in the background.