Mushroom

GPN

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Found in flower bed after a shower of rain ,In Blount County Alabama.
745_sany4238.jpg

745_sany4236.jpg

I need help to know what this mushroom is
745_sany4240.jpg

MotherBrugger

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Is it some kind of oyster mushroom? They are very hard to identify, but they look as though they either are, or are related.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It bears a little resemblance to the honey mushroom, but I don't think the gills look right and the stems look too shiny. (Those also have a poisonous look-a-like.) I have a book, Mushrooms of West Virginia and the Central Appalachains that is a really great guide. They may have a version for your area. Or sometimes your county ag. extension agency or local college will have a mycologist on staff who can help you. For my area, there are only 4 varieties of edible mushrooms that are easily identifiable out of 1000's.

You could try getting a spore print too, that would help. Put a cap, gills down, on a piece of black paper and one on white paper and cover each with a glass and leave it for 12-24 hours. See which color the spores show up.

GPN

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:( i did not eat it cause i could not find hard facts it was good then. Waiting for it to grow again!

GPN

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
There's only a handful of mushrooms that will kill you. But there is maybe 95% of them will make you sick to your stomach, so it's very important not to eat one that hasn't been positively identified. So glad you didn't! It doesn't look like any oyster mushroom that I've ever found (the stalks are very short on them and fan out into the cap.)

If you do get a positive ID on a mushroom, particularly by someone who regularly hunts them or is an expert, you still have to be careful. Even the edible ones can cause gastric distress if not thoroughly cooked and some people may have sensitivities to them even though they are otherwise safe. Any first time trying a new edible mushroom, it's wise to only eat a little bit and see how it sits with you. If that goes well, you can try a little bit larger portion next time.

Not to sound like a mother hen, but I just wanted to make sure you and others know to take care with wild mushrooms. :old

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have no idea and am of no help! I did however, get lost on one of those mushroom sites and have it EXTREMELY interesting to say the least. Thanks for the links!

Latest posts