Mushy Pickles?

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I made my first batch of pickles using a mix from Walmart. The flavor is ok (will try from scratch next time) but the pickles are mushy.
How do I avoid that next time? Also anyone have a good dill pickle recipe?

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Adding Alum is supposed to help keep them crisp, I'm told, but I personally don't use it. You could also put in a grape leaf in each jar...same principal I guess. Make sure that your cucs are not soft before putting up the pickles. I posted my recipe on here previously. http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=23802

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Dace, same thing happened to me. I made some from scratch and the flavor was great, but the texture was GROSS. I mean, mushier than babyfood mushy.

Gotta keep trying, tho. :)

Cassandra

mirime

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Dace, did you soak them in an ice water bath first?

I'm not a big fan of those packages either - my first good batch of bread and butter pickles I used that mix, and they're kinda mushy too.

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Good advice everyone :)
Pickling lime and ice bath will be happening in the next bath.
Part of my problem is that it takes so dang long to get my water up to boiling...I think they cooked for an additional 30 mins just trying to get up to a rolling boil.
Gotta work on that!
Where do I get pickling lime?

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Dace keep your lid on to bring your water to a boil faster, Then add your jars to the boiling water. Pickling Lime can be purchased at most grocery stores.

averytds

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Just use cold water with the pickling lime. I got mine at Wal-mart. Try the Low-Temperature Pasteurization Treatment. I think while the process time is longer the pickles stay crispier as they aren't getting as hot/cooked during the processing. Might be better suited with you're slow to boil. I mostly kept the lid off with the thermometer hooked to the side so I could watch it. HTH

elnabelms

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I learned the hard way the using tap water can create mushy pickles, especially in the west where there's a lot of minerals in the water. Using distilled water works much better. My mother-in-law makes amazing pickles, and she gave me that tip.

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
elnabelms said:
I learned the hard way the using tap water can create mushy pickles, especially in the west where there's a lot of minerals in the water. Using distilled water works much better. My mother-in-law makes amazing pickles, and she gave me that tip.
Good tip Elaine, we went from city water last year to spring water now and that made a huge difference.