My 2009, not so easy garden....

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Holy guacamole! Thats HUGE! I read once that Amish women keep one-acre family gardens (larger depending on family size) and another slightly smaller charity garden...can you imagine weeding an acre?

Its very lovely, I thought mine was well done this year but now yours makes it look like a sad little mound of dirt with some sticks in it!!!

allabout

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hahaha.....a few evenings ago, while working in the garden, I asked my two little children what it would take to say we had a farm. They both agreed you have to have a COW!! :D

I want a cow so I can say I'm a farmer!

Yall, I can't do this without J.D., (the name of our tractor), a 500 count bottle of Ibuprofen and a crazed mind.

Oh THANK YOU GUYS, I started a list of what to bring and didn't think about a notebook! And, I'm going to throw in a cooler full of water. jAnd the photos....that's a great idea! Oh....I've got to put my camara on the list of "things to bring!" If anyone else can think of something...please, by all means let me know!

An interesting note:
For generations our families have labored in the gardens. Our parents and grandparents picked cotton and grew their vegetables to keep the children from going hungry. My great-grandparents and their children would catch a mule and wagon and come work these very same fields for my husband's great-grandparents! It is something we just keep passing down from generation to generation. I can remember Momma dragging us into the hot gardens and teaching us to pick, and hoe. And at the end of the day it was canning until late in the night. Get up, and do it again. Thanks to the grace of God I only have to do this as a hobby. I'm glad it is only a hobby.

Claudia

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Southern Gardener said:
Wow! That is beautiful! How do you keep the weeds out of something that big?
That's what I was wondering, too! It's magnificent. I love that your whole family is involved. Best of luck to you, I can't wait to hear how it went!

allabout

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
sparkles2307 said:
Holy guacamole! Thats HUGE! I read once that Amish women keep one-acre family gardens (larger depending on family size) and another slightly smaller charity garden...can you imagine weeding an acre?

Its very lovely, I thought mine was well done this year but now yours makes it look like a sad little mound of dirt with some sticks in it!!!
When the rows of plants are low, we can run through the garden on the tractor with an cultivator. It pulls the dirt to the plant AND cleans the rows. Nice!!!

Oh, Sparkles, in a few weeks, when it's about 100 deg. in the shade, I assure you I would trade this for your little mound or dirt and some sticks. :D

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
LOL yeah I am pretty happy with my little mound :) Its a 26X36 ft with a 2' center aisle so I have 12' rows of everything on each side. DH has a 12x20ft garden of potatoes and onions. We are ok with keeping it small!

I dont miss 100 degrees in the shade one bit!!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
allabout said:
. . .
This weekend we are going to a market to sell potatoes, cabbage, onions, squash, fresh eggs, and all types of herbs. This will be the first time my husband and I have every been to sell to the public. I plan on taking lots of pictures and sharing with you all... I can promise I'm nervous as a cat, but a confident nervous. Wish me luck!!

Claudia
Here is wishing you the very Best of Luck, Claudia :frow!

Harvest and processing the day before so that it is just "load up and go" on marketday . . .

Are you going into a big city? Weekend weather report looks good - sunny and highs in low 90's for your part of the world.

Weather will be the most important factor on marketday, especially if you provide your own shade in the form of a portable canopy. Wind can ruin things if it is too "portable" that day!!

Then there's rain but paying close attention to the forecasts during the run-up to the Big Day is important - be prepared!! Also, use a number of forecasts . . . (if you pay careful, detailed, painstaking attention you can actually influence the weather in a positive way ;). Your customers will thank you for this :cool:!)

After awhile, you will have loyal customers because of your own loyalty to them and the market. They will show up, rain or shine, and make for a good day no matter what :)!

Steve

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you can spare any at market, putting out a tray of samples helps a LOT.

I agree, that is a farm, for sure! And so tidy! Well done, lady!

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
HAHA here is my little mound...
6215_june2009_015.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is a lovely "mound"! Your grass looks so lush-You must post more pics when everything is up! I think it is amazing how much food you can grow, even in a very small space...Enjoy!