My 2012 Green Bean Garden-2013-post #48

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Mom was in the hospital last week due to an injury from a fall. She was transferred to a nursing home for rehab and should be home in a few weeks. A nurse at the hospital is from China and we struck up a conversation about gardening. We both pulled out our cell phones to show each other our garden pictures. We each OOOOH'ed and AAHHH'ed at each other's gardens. Plus, we both have chickens. She showed me pictures of beautiful fruit trees that showed the loving care they received. :tools Her garden pictures were equally gorgeous. She was very interested my green beans and I told her I would bring her some seed the next day.

She was off for the weekend, but the nurse on duty said she would put the seeds in her locker. Mom was released from the hospital Monday and before I left, I ran into my new friend. The seeds were in her pocket! She gave me a big hug and thanked me. I took her a picking of the green beans yesterday so she wouldn't have to wait until next year to eat some. No matter where you live or where you are from, we all speak the universal language of gardening. I am excited to have made a new friend and hope to exchange more seeds and ideas with her! I sent her the link to this thread and invited her to join us. :fl I hope she joins the forum!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Still picking green beans! I picked enough for a meal this morning, but we just had green beans the last 2 nights, so I'm giving them to a friend that is coming over at lunch. These things make BEANS!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
91.gif

Gotta love a plant that earns its keep!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am still growing these green beans. I have saved seed since 1999 and plant them every year. I can practically feed the neighborhood with these. I grow them on a 32' row, next to the tomato trellis and still string them on hay twine. This year, the vines are going insane, growing so fast that they cover up the beans! These beans are fantastic producers and make a lot of beans.

We moved to Lindale in 2015 and I planted these beans and have every year since. I have shared seeds and given away beans. Baker Creek no longer lists these, so I am glad that I have the seed!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I gave away beans to day to a future neighbor. They are rehabbing a mobile home down the street. We stopped to say hello and invited them to the farm so I could give them green beans. She cooked them for their supper.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mostly beans, but this year i also have melons going Ambrosia hybrid is really happening 1 plant has 6 melons. 1 actually right on top of another.orange flesh honeydew has 2 on one plant. crenshaw has one so far. I want to be really good at growing melons for if the economy craps out. being able to grow a luxury could pay the rent. Been living in the city 5 years now. i'll never get used to it. oh, got a newer subaru. it has an automatic transmission, and no gear changes at all. it just winds on up. not kidding.

Ora's speckled grew so many last year, I had enough for to add as dry beans to chile. Then they second cropped. long season barely ends...couple weeks of barely frost, next season starts!

Latest posts