My apple tree is "sprouting"

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Its way too early for the little shoots to be popping out on the apple tree. We've had some really odd weather, from -40 with windchills before christmas, and since then just like SPRING weather. Today was 61 degrees, yesterday was the same.

We have some cold weather coming in again on Friday.

Anyway the problem seems to be the warmth perhaps making the tree think it was spring already. I don't think there is anything I can do about it, but will this ruin the next season for our apples? :/

Patch of Heaven Farm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Is there anyway you could cover it? Or is it a huge tree? I am thinking dwarf tees lke my neighbor had and he would cover with plastic and place a light under it on a piece of tin or some other non flamable material. He would stake the plastic so the light wouldn't touch it and melt it. It seemed to work with his but I am not sure that would be the best thing to do(not an expert by any means). I don't have any fruit trees yet but I have seen my neighbor do it for several years. He also wrapped the trunks with burlap. I am sure others here will know the best thing to do. Just wanted to share what he did. Best of luck with your tree!!!! :coolsun

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
On my gardening line we have a guy who wraps his fruit trees with those old fashioned Christmas tree lights that actually get hot to the touch. They generate just enough heat that he doesn't have to worry about frost and he plugs them in whenever it's getting cold.

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm not concerned with the cold, the warm weather is the problem, causing the tree to start sprouting leaves and such too early. This should only be happening in April!

poppycat

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Are the leaves actually coming out or are the buds just swelling up? I wouldn't worry about it too much, fruiting is usually only stopped by flowering followed by a freeze. You may not get a bumper crop, but you'll probably still get some apples.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have several trees with early budding (for leaves coming out not flowers) then a big snow and freeze came. Even my tulips were coming up with fresh leaves. Luckily, nothing is or was budding.... I'm sure you won't have a lose long as blooms weren't damaged.

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OK good, the tree just has those fluffy like sprouts swelling on the branches, no actual leaves yet but they're coming I'm sure.

We're going to go below freezing tonight and won't go over for a while, so that might stop it.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Keeping the roots cold is commonly held to retard blooming (although I dunno specifically about bud break). Is why some fruit or borderline-hardy ornamental trees are suggested to be grown on a *north-facing* slope in northern areas prone to late frosts.

So, if you like living dangerously you might consider removing some of the snow from the root zone of the tree. Idea being to get the ground as freezy as possible to delay the tree "thinking" it's spring for as long as possible. You just don't want to overdo it, scrape the ground bare when it gets to -30 at night, and kill roots, you know?

Otherwise I agree there is probably not a huge amount you can do. Either the flowerbuds are damaged or they're not. Have to wait and see come May.

Good luck!

Pat, who would appreciate some 60 F as it is supposed to get back down towards -30 F this weekend. Although I don't really want MY trees getting fooled into starting into growtn EITHER, thanks :p

Latest posts