my arrowleaf

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
truly a leaf not leaves .. i've since killed the other leaves, they turned yellow and i would just pluck them off .. it has sat in this same jar/same location for over 5 years, i have to be honest i am pretty proud of myself, this is success for me ..
i now know the name of the plant .. i goggled it and really didnt come back with any help (to me) ..
what do you guys know about them, and seeing a photo what can you recommend i do ??
my husband doesnt want any dirt in the house, so the water jar has just worked for us .. i did like what greensage ron had mentioned in another post, about the fish in the vase - kind of scared i might kill the fish ..
ok well if you have any ideas i'd love to hear them. (and if im a bad plant owner, its just cuz i have no clue what to do) .................
thanks

6271_arrowleaf.jpg
6271_arrowleaf_roots.jpg

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow,

That is quite the life together! LOL

The way I see it is that it is only performing according to the needs provided to it. Why would it put off any more than a few leaves at a time if it is just existing. It needs some life. :mow

Take all those roots off. Just cut them off.

Then evaluate the stems. I see new growth on the piece to the left of the frame. Nice top. Cut away anything that looks worthless.

Next I would seek out a few newer cuttings. Add about 4-5 new cuttings. Lower the water level a bit, it really looks like it could make a mess if it spills. :bee

Did you get a water soluble fertilizer? That would help. Something that should be refreshed and rinsed through monthly. No fish with fertilizers. :th

I think finding new cuttings wont be very hard. Your little plant did good all these years...do what gardeners do and take the fresh top and discard the rest. Start a new grouping, and the cycle goes on.

Ron :watering

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I must agree with Ron.

I would go with a fish in there. But please be sure to have an air stone in with it. Like when they sell Betas at the store in that sad little fish bowl. They, betas, don't need air pumped into there tank as they are labarath (something like that) breathers. Meaning they can take oxygen right from the surface of the water. But it not the way they should live! The plant will also do better, roots also need oxygen!

This reminds me of my friends. They show up with
deadgardensmilie.gif
and ask what I can do with it. I tell them I can reuse the pot!

So you need cuttings? hmm

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
injunjoe said:
I must agree with Ron.

I would go with a fish in there. But please be sure to have an air stone in with it. Like when they sell Betas at the store in that sad little fish bowl. They, betas, don't need air pumped into there tank as they are labarath (something like that) breathers. Meaning they can take oxygen right from the surface of the water. But it not the way they should live! The plant will also do better, roots also need oxygen!

This reminds me of my friends. They show up with http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l231/injunjoetortman/gifs/deadgardensmilie.gif and ask what I can do with it. I tell them I can reuse the pot!

So you need cuttings? hmm
:gig You're SUCH an enabler!

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
no fair pointing and laughing .. alright i'd point and laugh too ..
so i have read and re read your post, good point on its survival being directly related to its care, duh! point taken .. im trying to get this .. your scaring me on the "Take all those roots off. Just cut them off." we've established i know next to nothing here, but i thought i understood if i disrupt the roots, i'll kill the plant.
one step at a time for me please, so i cut the roots off to the 'stem' part? then back in the water, with a little less water?
do i wait on taking a cutting? (cuz i'll have some questions on how to next)
"Did you get a water soluble fertilizer?"
nope, didnt know it excised, look for it at home depot, probably in the indoor garden area eh?
"No fish with fertilizers." good to know. good to know!

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
hello injunjoe, i really want to try the fish/plant life, do you think i would be able to get one that would still fit on my window sill or would a fish need a bigger home? also the air stone would need a pump = electricity ?? that would mean moving it out of the window, will the plant die if i move him from the window? again i appreciate the offer of cuttings, but you now have proof - i have some learning to do first! thank you though ..

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
chills said:
hello injunjoe, i really want to try the fish/plant life, do you think i would be able to get one that would still fit on my window sill or would a fish need a bigger home? also the air stone would need a pump = electricity ?? that would mean moving it out of the window, will the plant die if i move him from the window? again i appreciate the offer of cuttings, but you now have proof - i have some learning to do first! thank you though ..
A small pump is about $9.00, they use very little elec. A air hose comes 20' long for about $2.50, airstone a buck or two. A Beta about $5.00
The joy of a fish swimming around the roots of your plant, Priceless!

The container need not be to big just so he can swim around a little.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you have a Michael's Craft Store near you? They sell (very cheaply, under 4 bucks) a large glass vase meant for beta fish or some kind of small frog. It comes with a little plastic thingy that holds the plant up out of the water. You put the fish in the bottom with the water, plop the plant in the top. It works great. You still need to feed the fish. You just pull up the plant, drop a few grains of food in and you are good to go. A water change once a week is perfect. You will have to trim the roots now and again, or they will fill the vase. I love it, it is a perfect little eco-system. Try it, you'll like it!

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
Do you have a Michael's Craft Store near you? They sell (very cheaply, under 4 bucks) a large glass vase meant for beta fish or some kind of small frog. It comes with a little plastic thingy that holds the plant up out of the water. You put the fish in the bottom with the water, plop the plant in the top. It works great. You still need to feed the fish. You just pull up the plant, drop a few grains of food in and you are good to go. A water change once a week is perfect. You will have to trim the roots now and again, or they will fill the vase. I love it, it is a perfect little eco-system. Try it, you'll like it!
That sounds cool!

I have a flower vase that I drilled a hole in the side at the bottom. With a check valve it is nice for like a desk or windowsill. You can hide the air tube as it don't have to go up and over the lip. Very easy to drill glass if done right!

scuba.gif

I will have to set it up and let you see it.
To the craft store! Thanks Lesa I must go look for these!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Be careful!

Joe will have you building a waterslide for the little fish!

LOL :yuckyuck

Ron

Latest posts