My Avocado Pipped! Uh, I Mean Sprouted!

ranchhand

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
There was a thread earlier this month about starting avocado pits, and I lost it.

I did say it takes patience. And I wasn't kidding! This has been in water since February or so. The root started growing in late April, and just the other day it pipped! The world's slowest hatch! (I spend waaaay too much time on BYC)

6099_img_2259_2.jpg

6099_img_2258_2.jpg

The toothpicks have rotted and been replaced several times, and I refresh the water every couple of days now.

:celebrate

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:celebrate Yay!!!

Must be a bantam judging from the size of the "egg" ;)

I second Funny Thread Title of The Month. :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Not only funny.... but educational!!!! :rainbow-sun

I would LOVE to start an avacado... but seeing I was not blessed with patience... you can guess where that is going to lead.

AWESOME job hatching that. ;)

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ok, I officially believe this can be done now. I'm going to buy some avocados at Costco on Monday and make some guacamole and set up some seeds.
Thanks for posting the update! My faith in the almighty avocado has been restored! :lol:

ETA: Just noticed I'm "leafing out." Very exciting. Not a seed anymore!

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
Not only funny.... but educational!!!! :rainbow-sun

I would LOVE to start an avacado... but seeing I was not blessed with patience... you can guess where that is going to lead.

AWESOME job hatching that. ;)
ya i think that i threw out a perfectly good avacado.. :/ it did the crack then nothing.. so I tossed it. its prob growing somewhere :idunno

I am however waiting longer this go round .

ranchhand

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Way back in the seventies I had one in a pot that got about 4' tall before I gave it away. When I think it's probably just starting to produce real well..... :he

I've 3 more going, one has cracked in two, like this one, and one has cracked into three segments! I don't know if it's going to fall apart or not. If it does, I'm thinking just go ahead and pot it?

:rainbow-sun

jackiedon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thank you so much for posting this!! I have seeds in water and was thinking about throwing them out but I will continue to watch for them to pipped. I'm good at waiting for pipping. 2 incubators going.

jackie

ranchhand

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hmmmm..... I wonder how an incubator would work as a mini hothouse/greenhouse......

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
very cute pip!:)

friend of mine's sister used to sprout and grow avocados from pits and sell them to a local nursery ..she had them all over her appartment in various sizes waiting for them to get to "sale size"

she paid for a trip to Italy with those!

I have often thought what a great idea if you live in an area where they sell avocado trees !

(she lived in Austin Tx)

Latest posts