My battle with chickweed

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I feel for you, Cat'!

It may be impossible to keep up with chickweed - I mean, for normal humans. I can't really tell by your photo's but the chickweed in my garden had flowers when I showed up right after the snow melted. I don't know about when it goes to seed but I bet that flower doesn't take long. What are you going to do?!

It is only a real problem in the shady corner garden where there must be hundreds of seeds in every foot of soil. Elsewhere, the chickweed is just real spotty. Under those trees, it can grow like in Cat's picture.

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am insanely pulling and mulching. I have always been organic but I am using Preen on the weeded beds. They are no where near my food gardens so I will see if it works. I do feel bad about giving into the chemicals but I am being careful.They reseed every few weeks so it is a chore. The photo I posted was NOT the worst bed. I have completed the worst ones. I wish I could get the chickens to eat it without eating the daylillies.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Catjac, those beds look amazing! So clean. How long did it take you to weed those? Could you put 5 gal. buckets over the lilies so the chickens won't eat them? I know you have a lot of them but perhaps you could do a section at a time for a few hours?

Mary

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Catjac, have you ever tried corn gluten as a weed preventer? Now even Preen has an "organic" weed preventer. I just checked the label and it is 100% corn gluten. I am wondering if a person could just grind up corn and use it. Probably would have to be pretty fine to avoid attracting birds.
Also, I read a while back that "they" have discovered that sunflower hulls are a natural weed preventer. Hmmm, what else? Ground up walnut hulls? Wonder if that would keep things already planted from thriving? (Sorry, here I am wondering too much again)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
The corn gluten does not prevent chickweed. Nice idea with the buckets but I think impractical. Still-may try to figure out a way. I think corn gluten is a leftover byproduct of processing. Cheaper to buy it than waste corn.
so lucky said:
Catjac, have you ever tried corn gluten as a weed preventer? Now even Preen has an "organic" weed preventer. I just checked the label and it is 100% corn gluten. I am wondering if a person could just grind up corn and use it. Probably would have to be pretty fine to avoid attracting birds.
Also, I read a while back that "they" have discovered that sunflower hulls are a natural weed preventer. Hmmm, what else? Ground up walnut hulls? Wonder if that would keep things already planted from thriving? (Sorry, here I am wondering too much again)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Took a whole day for each bed-more to go. Only one really bad one left. The rest are not quite as full.
ninnymary said:
Wow Catjac, those beds look amazing! So clean. How long did it take you to weed those? Could you put 5 gal. buckets over the lilies so the chickens won't eat them? I know you have a lot of them but perhaps you could do a section at a time for a few hours?

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
What about an A-frame cover/chicken tractor for the rows of chickweed you want obliterated and put some hens in it? Give them some water and put them on a chickweed diet! :gig

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
HHHMMMMMMMMM....
baymule said:
What about an A-frame cover/chicken tractor for the rows of chickweed you want obliterated and put some hens in it? Give them some water and put them on a chickweed diet! :gig

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
I am insanely pulling and mulching. I have always been organic but I am using Preen on the weeded beds. They are no where near my food gardens so I will see if it works. I do feel bad about giving into the chemicals but I am being careful.They reseed every few weeks so it is a chore. The photo I posted was NOT the worst bed. I have completed the worst ones. I wish I could get the chickens to eat it without eating the daylillies.
Careful cat, first Preen, then other chemicals, before you know it, you are mulboard plowing, discing, pre-emerge chemicals, post-emerge chemicals, insecticides........ I kid.:D

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I must say I always passed by the chemical aisle at Lowes and Home Depot. After seeing all of the poisons I felt as if the organic movement was doomed. I will not go beyond the Preen for the daylilies.

Latest posts