My best crop so far!

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I love it!

I thought I was the only one who liked dandelions. :) I think nothing says home, country and welcome more than a field or yard full of them. So comforting.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
majorcatfish said:
thistlebloom said:
Right now? Eye candy. :)
Good thing yellow is my favorite color.

I'm waiting for Bay to come harvest them.
:yuckyuck knowing bay hers are bigger
:lol: :yuckyuck :gig I just ran out in the rain to take a pic, will post it later. Actually, Major, mine are about 3 1/2 feet tall. :gig I pick the blooms every day, get from 90-180. I dry them for tea and I will have to set time aside for jelly. Thistle, love the lawn color. The neighbor downwind from me almost looks like that. :lol:

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Haha, my yard has lots and lots of dandelions as well...this is the season i sneak around to avoid my neighbor lady...with the pristine, trimmed, mowed, herbicided, fertilized, green boring lawn!! I know it drives her crazy to see that sea of yellow next door!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, there's my problem.

The dandelions grow best in my yard along the side of the driveway. Beside the property line. Across that driveway from a !*'*lawn*'*!.

Why don't they bloom after the 3 small dogs over there have finally created those nice little patches of yellow grass? The neighbors might be more tolerant of the seed blowing over the fence by that time!

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Feast your eyes on these dandelions! I pick the blooms every day, today I picked over 200, the most so far. I love the cheerful bright yellow flowers and they make tasty beautiful tea.

7949_dandelion_bed_1.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, those are some prize winners there Bay! And you don't even have to bend over to pick them. :)

When you pick the heads do you have to pull the petals off, or can you dry the whole thing? I'd like to use them for tea, but can't picture myself tearing all those little petals off...not that I'm lazy, it's just if I did that, when would I have time to get on here? ;)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Shor 'nuff, in Texas their Dandelions are bigger because they are taller.

"Texas Growth Stimulant" Someone should make a product named that! But would it only be guaranteed to work in Texas?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Yep, those are some prize winners there Bay! And you don't even have to bend over to pick them. :)

When you pick the heads do you have to pull the petals off, or can you dry the whole thing? I'd like to use them for tea, but can't picture myself tearing all those little petals off...not that I'm lazy, it's just if I did that, when would I have time to get on here? ;)
It really doesn't take that long to pull the petals out. I roll the bottom of the calyz in my finger and thumb to loosen the petals. I totally empty the calyx. The green calyx that holds them together is bitter and you wouldn't want it in your tea. I dry the petals on wax paper and then zip-loc bag them up. A fourth cup of dried petals in a quart of water makes a tasty, beautiful deep orange tea.

Texas Growth Stimulant: the knee-deep BS that we just can't help ourselves from spouting is what is responsible for everything being bigger in Texas! :lol:

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well gosh darn baymule, before the Texans' heads get too big ... it seems Alaska has bigger stuff like Brown Bears, Kodiak Bears, Polar bears, huge Moose, biggest horns on carriboo, Salmon, l o n g e r days and nights, more land, more snow and glaciers, more trees, tallest mountain , as well as North Pole, Alaska ( a town where all things are Christmas) things like that than Texas ! :th Who knew... :hu

Latest posts