My Best Weeding Investment - Torch

BetterHensandGardens

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I found the torch shown below at Harbor Freight, and I think it's the best weeding investment I've ever made.

6725_propane_torch.jpg

I was able to torch the weeds on a good size bank in under an hour and plant Ivy immediately afterwards. There's a little more on that story here: http://www.betterhensandgardens.com/2012/04/18/best-weeding-investment/

Anyway, obviously you need to be careful using flames, but I think it's a great tool for getting rid of all the weeds!

gardentoad

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yes it does work good, but you really have to be careful. Cause it is a blow torch. I use mine for starting tree stumps to burn them out and along the fence line on weeds.

Don

luvmygoose

Sprout
Reaction score
I have seen these and have considered ordering one, now that I've read your blog about it I'm putting in an order on Friday. Thanks

BetterHensandGardens

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Gardentoad, it seems like it would keep the weeds down a lot longer along fence lines - I just used it for that yesterday.

Using it between pavers and the driveway as lesa suggests is a good idea too, hadn't even thought of that one yet.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bugging hubby for one, and he said NO! UGH!!!

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've been telling my boyfriend "NO" for years when he begs for a flamethrower. Maybe I can relent for one of these. :) "Ok, you can have one. But it's THIS one, and it does THIS job!" Maybe then my fencelines will clear up.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Joz, it is like giving a man a chainsaw... you have to watch them. After last year, I don't allow the thing in the actual garden. Dh was out there, and actually burnt a strawberry plant, because it was growing outside the row!! Really?? And it had berries on it... Along the fence line it works beautifully. Don't let the weeds get too big, before you use it- they do kind of catch on fire, if they are very tall.