My compost is full of fat curly maggots??

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Pick them out gather a dozen or so and sell them to a chicken owner. Post an add on CL for a couple bucks. I bet they sell in a heart beat.

g

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The fruit eating part of the june bug family uses compost heaps to mature grubs. Our local fig beetle hatches grubs as big as my thumb. Makes me wish I had chickens. I always viewed them as beneficial in a compost heap since they help break things down. I thought at first they might be black soldier fly larvae till you said they were curled.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Whenever someone says their yard is too small I have to laugh. I have 9 ducks and 4 quail on .167th of an acre...and most of that is covered in house, garage and shed :D

You can always get a few silkies...they don't take up much space!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have just under an 1/2 acre and have 7 silkies running around taking care of japanese bettle,s cucumber bettles, aparagas bettles, ticks, cinch bugs, pill bugs, earwhigs, grass hoppers, millipeds, snails, slugs, and some things I dont know what the names are but if it moves they eat it... they will dig in my gardens and eat seeds I dont have as many weeds since they came to roost in my yard...and they are fun to watch they are little bantum fuzz butts... and as a bonus I get the eggs which are yummy...

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I turned one of my compost piles yesterday & found bunches of big fat grubs, too. I was going to pick them out & give the chickies a treat, then I thought about hoodat's comment that they might be more useful where they are, so I left 'em. Sorry chickies! :lol:

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
Whenever someone says their yard is too small I have to laugh. I have 9 ducks and 4 quail on .167th of an acre...and most of that is covered in house, garage and shed :D

You can always get a few silkies...they don't take up much space!
I have a typical tiny SoCal suburban back yard yet I manage to grow all the veggies I and two neighbors can eat plus the greens for meat rabbits.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My compost pile is within throwing distance of my chicken so they get all mine. When I turn my pile they line up at the fence because they know it's going to be a good day. Anyway, chickens are birds.... yes. Pick them out and I don't know put them in a feeder or a pan of some type and see if the birds like them as much as the chickens. I use a lot of grass in my compost and I do not need japanese beetles or most of the others either.