My cukes are succumbing to Bacterial Wilt...

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Ugh, I just knew something was going on :he The leaves on my cukes began to appear wilty, but I attributed it to the sun (I was in denial). Last year, wilt took all of my cukes except for one lonely plant. I'm so sad, I was really looking forward to pickles this year :barnie But I broke a stalk and it was gooey...ewwwww.

I think I may be able to save two plants :fl

I'll post pics tomorrow morning to get you all's professional advice...grrrr!!

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had a similar problem last year ... I moved my cucumbers and I trellised them this year. They are doing my better. I also moved my tomatoes because they had what appeared to be the same thing.

You might be able to plant a fall crop now in a new spot. They only take about 55-60 days ... check your frost dates.

I was so upset because I wasn't able to put up very many pickles and this year everything is running very late.

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
HunkieDorie23 said:
I had a similar problem last year ... I moved my cucumbers and I trellised them this year. They are doing my better. I also moved my tomatoes because they had what appeared to be the same thing.

You might be able to plant a fall crop now in a new spot. They only take about 55-60 days ... check your frost dates.

I was so upset because I wasn't able to put up very many pickles and this year everything is running very late.
So far so good still...3 plants remaining :fl

I'm going to move mine next year and trellis them as well, using the "teepee" style of trellis..you are so right about planting a fall crop...I'm going to start looking for some plants...thanks!

newsmyrnastead

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I reaaaaaally hope this isn't what's wrong with my cucumbers. I've got a nice row all sprawling out growing nicely, but some leaves are dying off, the plant isn't wilting though. Could it be the heat? I live in Florida and it's been getting over 95 here lately. How do I know if it's bacterial wilt or not?

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
newsmyrnastead said:
I reaaaaaally hope this isn't what's wrong with my cucumbers. I've got a nice row all sprawling out growing nicely, but some leaves are dying off, the plant isn't wilting though. Could it be the heat? I live in Florida and it's been getting over 95 here lately. How do I know if it's bacterial wilt or not?
Here is a pic of mine from today...one other plant is affected as well :somad

CIMG2225.jpg

This wilt occurs within hours, they become extra-wilty after the sun, but never perk back up. If yours are perking back up in the evening hours, after the sun goes down, I'm sure they are fine.

newsmyrnastead

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hmm, doesn't seem like I have the bacterial wilt, but something is definitely going on. Almost a majority of the leaves are yellow and brown, like they're getting some kind of nute burn.

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
newsmyrnastead said:
Hmm, doesn't seem like I have the bacterial wilt, but something is definitely going on. Almost a majority of the leaves are yellow and brown, like they're getting some kind of nute burn.
I think your are soooo right! I left for a weekend trip and just returned...my eggplants are now succumbing :rant

I give up...I'm having my soil tested before next year to figure out what the h*ll is going on before I lose my gardening mind :somad

Oh, by the way...what is "nute burn"?? Thanks so much!

Edited to add: I googled "nute burn" and a bunch of marijuana growing sites popped up...just had to share, cuz it made me laugh :gig

Latest posts