My Dad The Enabler

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
At Easter Dinner I mentioned I saw a beautiful Jaguar convertible for $3,000. My brother inlaw said that year had lot of senor problems. Going on 2 years with pickup not even close to being ready I put car out of my mind. Last night I picked up my dad for dinner, he said he needed to make a stop on the way. His friends was selling a 1978 Mercedes 450 convertible with hard top. Some how my dad talked friend down from $6,000 to $3,000. Here is the problem car has been sitting outside for years !!!! Has 4 flat tires so I cant drive. I know just sitting car at very least going to need tires, brakes, belts, hoses, plugs being mercedes everything 3x price. Told my dad car would need to much money. But I can not stop thinking of this car.
upload_2017-4-24_9-10-35.png

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, write the check already ! We need more entertainment since we can't go out to garden in this wet weather. :caf

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
My hubs would say that its a great restoration project! He just sold a 78 classic corvette on eBay motors, where the buyer shipped it from Calif to FL. Did we make money? Nope, but its a fun project for him.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
If you or your nephew or someone can do a little. (unless the motor, tranny or diff is blown it can be running in no time. It'll take a mechanical thinking human and you're in business.
That's a nice car. Worth getting running, once you can drive you can see and hear all the little whatevers and get them one at a time~ somethings will be just the correct lube another might be a rusted thing just needs oil and a tap so it will move again or a rubber grommet replaced.

That's a nice car! You have it now?

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
That Mercedes isn't going to need new hoses,belts this that and the other thing. Once it's running you can decide to replace any leaking hose or belt that's cracked and dry. Plugs, sure once it's running, they can be pulled out cleaned and tested, gaped and put back in. Everything isn't bad on a car that has been sitting. Like to know why it was parked and not driven~what the problem was~may it did need a set of plugs or one was fouled so it ran like hell and a mechanic said: Give me an Arm and a Leg and I'll fix it.

I liked that model the day it came out!

Latest posts