My Fairy Godmother visited today....

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
My dear Aunt Betty, the bringer of all things wonderful, came for a visit. She had visited some very good yard sales and, being the crafty consumer that she is, picked up some real gems! She gave me:

Back to Basics: How to Learn and Enjoy Traditional American Skills by Reader's Digest. It is a hardback book on how to do just anything, with pictures and complete instructions!!!! The largest portion was on gardening....everything about gardening! Anyone else read this book? I don't know, folks, but I may never need this forum again.....;)

She also gave me a beautiful garden cart, canning supplies, beautiful cloth, a sweeper.....oh, too many things to list! All are things which I can use.
I just love Aunt Betty! She's a scrounger too! :love

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, I Love that book!!!!!

I got it when it was still from the company...you can look at it's date, but I got it in the late 70's. For years I studied that book and dreamed over it. Did I mention that I love that book? :D

Then, after moving here I got a 2nd copy 2nd hand, but haven't seen either copy for a long time. :( I know they're here somewhere.....

Enjoy, it is basic in many way, but on so many things. I remember deciding I wanted the hatches that opened in the chicken coop because of that book. I can literally remember every drawing in it, I think.

But it won't replace the forum though....sorry! ;)

How wonderful! I wish I had an Aunt Betty to visit me, bearing gifts! :)

Have fun with your new things! :happy_flower

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
My teenager was glancing through that book and he was exclaiming over the sheer amount of knowledge and how-tos that were in one book! My niece was looking it over and she kept saying how much she loved the book and I told her that this was ONE book she couldn't have! :)

I would never leave the forum for a book! Well, unless I was asked, politely, to leave and don't come back! :D

This book was issued in 1981 but the info still seems so timely. Hope you find yours, Tutter! :)

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There are so many great books out there that have so much knowledge that we can't even find anymore. I'm glad you got this book and please share the knowledge it has in it!

I need a Fairy Godmother! ;)

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's probably when it came out. I thought I got it before moving one time. The date would put it just after that move, which is still close. I got a paper as an offer to buy it, almost like a come on. We didn't really have the money at the time, but I took advantage of the excellent offer anyway, and never regretted it. :)

Enjoy! :)

Latest posts