my "fancy-smancy" greenhouses

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had to smile at the idea of a gardener needing a fancy-smancy greenhouse in a cold climate.

Oh yeah, many years ago, I worked in a greenhouse that had room enuf to swing a cat. Of course, the heating costs were so high that we had to make every square foot count, anyway.

The temperatures overnight have dropped back into the teens after a couple of unseasonably warm weeks. But, the daytime temperatures are quite warm in the little greenhouse because the sky is clear and the sun shining. It's 30F outdoors but 71 in there right now. The angle of the south wall was really set for this time of year but any plans I had to heat the greenhouse thru the winter never came about. Being non-rich, has it's limitations. Still, it has never cost me over $20/month in natural gas to heat these 180 square feet in the months that I do run the furnace.

You need to know that this is the 3rd iteration of the greenhouse (or, sunshed :cool:). It began as a simple wall. Yep, I moved my little old lean-to greenhouse from the garage wall where it had stood and needed another wall.

I built the wall longer than my little greenhouse so that when I could get to it, it doubled in size. Then, it nearly doubled again by pushing the south wall out at an angle to catch the sun. Some have said that it looks like a "half of a house" and I suppose that's true. I probably should paint it now that so much weathering has grayed the cedar over the course of the last 14 years. Canterbury bells and foxglove grow along that north wall and do fairly well but they do require some support.
4989_greenhouses_004.jpg

And then, there's my tunnel. A plastic tunnel isn't even as fancy-smancy as a half of a house but it's what you do with the interior of it that's important. Essentially, it's 2 raised beds with pvc pipe ached over the top and 6 mil film pulled over that from March to June. The other 8 or 9 months out of the year, it magically becomes - 2 beds in the garden ;).

4989_greenhouses_002.jpg

This was a cold gray day in March, I believe.

Steve's digits

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ron, the film on the greenhouse is UV-resistant but I have never felt that the added cost was worth it for the tunnel. I need to tack it in place with lathe and nails and the darn stuff is so soft - it could never be re-used. So, I use the construction grade on the tunnel and toss it at the end of June.

When I first moved my old fiberglass lean-to out of the way and built my larger greenhouse, I used the same 6 mil film on it. It couldn't quite last 12 months. The film blew apart in October.

I'm afraid that you get quite a bit more winter sun down there than I do. (Now, why would I be "afraid" of that - S.A.D. sun-of-a-gun that I am?!? :rolleyes:) Anyway, I think that the ultraviolet and wind will begin to damage the film by summer. What I HOPE is that you can get it thru until June and take it off after that.

ClearSpan has the UV-resistant as cut-to-order.

Steve

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Steve that looks great.

I found the construction grade lasts well but will be weakest where it was folded. That being said the longer/wider the roll the less stress folds.

I hope that makes sense! Bad night here!

Joe

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love it. I was thinking of doing a hoop over at least one raised bed this year. My early crops like Brocoli and such can be planted any where from 1/1 to 1/30. So I started them now to give them 6-8 before I put them in the ground. Then I was going to put the hoop thingy over them to help them grow faster on our cooler days and nights.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do the little "hoop thingies" too, O! . . . for single beds.

Actually, they often are just used on the lawn and provide protection for "spill-over" from the greenhouse. The path in the tunnel gets spill-over, also.

I love spill-over!!
Anyway, if they go on the lawn, I gotta move them often :mow to protect the grass. Out in the gardens is something of a problem - the gardens require a drive :/. And, the smaller the area protected - the quicker it heats up on a sunny day!! You can "cook" plants in a couple of hours :rolleyes:.

If I put the hoopies in the garden, I cut half moons in the film - like big letter "U"'s. So these "flaps" can open if the hot air is pushing out. It seems to work really well and protects things inside from the cold at night :hu.

Steve

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So then the "U" shape is like a slit for a vent? Not something you would have to find a way to tie down at night?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You cut them in the most vertical part of the hoopie. They may blow open a little when it is windy. I'm sure it wouldn't be warm on a cold, windy night but maybe it wouldn't be freezing if its windy, anyway.

I grow cold-season veggies in the tunnel and in hoopies if I set them up. Your broccoli should be able to take a frost. It wouldn't be happy to, but is should be able to.

Steve
EDA: you could throw quilts over it at night, if'n you don't have to drive 4 miles each way to do it :rolleyes:.
EDA2: U's are about the size of half of a volley ball - maybe 3 on a side for 25' x 4' hoopie.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't imagine you would need hoops to grow broccoli. I am in zone 4, we have had continual frost and a little snow and I just harvested beautiful broccoli for dinner tonight- on December 3. The leaves look a little droopy with snow or frost on them, but they perk right back up. Another crop I am still harvesting is swiss chard. It still looks perfect and tastes great! I couldn't be happier with the cold weather crops this year!

Latest posts