My Fig Tree Help Please

nava

Sprout
Reaction score
My fig tree is about 3 1/2 feet tall, and 1 1/2 year old.
well the new leaves are nice and green but then the older ones start dying, well the pics say it all please look at the pics and tell me what is wrong with my tree.
Ohh and I was told to keep it well watered, so I put water on it at least 12 hrs a day, so there is always water there, just like the pic shows, am i doing it right?
7072_fig_tree_001.jpg

7072_fig_tree_002.jpg

7072_fig_tree_003.jpg

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
By the look of the leaves I'd say you are causing root damage by too much standing water. Let the ground dry between waterings. Fig trees are more drought tolerant than most people think. They are native to the Near East where water is scarce.
Here in San Diego they grow with very little water.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand your description but if you are watering it like that 12 hrs a day, you are probably lucky the thing is even ALIVE LOL, and the leaf damage is not-inconsistant with overwatering.

I have never grown figs in the ground but in pots they do best when grown somewhat dry (just never allowed to get wilty)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would say you are giving it too much water. I have a black mission fig in the ground. My soil used to be very sandy so I was watering every couple days because the plants around it needed it. The leaves always turned yellow and died. But I didn't want my other plants to die because of no water so I kept watering.

So this year, I amended my soil and mulched. I now water once a week and have not had one yellow leaf on the tree and my other plants around it are doing great.

Mary

TheNewBee

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'll have to agree too with too much water. my fig tree is alittle smaller than yours and we only water every few days and it gets hot & dry here fast.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah, back off on the watering and watch it for awhile.... We have long hot summers and figs grow all over the place just fine. I think that much watering will do less good then one would think.

Latest posts